texts being converted to emojis
chrismcneil55

When a caller uses an iPhone to send a text to my prepaid Gusto 3 flip phone, the text is converted into unreadable emojis. If I reply using the reply function, my text message will also be converted into unreadable emojis. This happens only with two callers, both of whom sent the messages using iPhones. Any guess as to why the messages are being converted from regular text to emojis, and is there a way to stop this from happening?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: texts being converted to emojis
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

chrismcneil55, we appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We definitely want to ensure that you’re able to receive all of your texts in a normal fashion. Due to recent software updates on the iPhone, there is currently an issue with sending special characters via text messages to basic phones. In this instance, the special characters is what’s causing the sudden appearance of emojis. We have lifted this up to Apple to further investigate and hope to have this resolved in one of their upcoming software updates. In the meantime, we’d ask you to let your friends know about the issue so that they’re aware and can try to avoid those special characters until the update becomes available.

SamanthaT_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Re: texts being converted to emojis
ARWEENA69

Samantha

I'm also having this issue when texting my dad who has an older flip phone.  I've noticed that it's only some special characters that seem to cause this issue.  Is there a known list of characters to avoid?

0 Likes