Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Text Advising of Asurion Claim - Scam?
StangSalie09

I just recieved the following text:

FREE MSG: Asurion- An insurance claim was filed for this wireless number. If you did not authorize this transaction, please reply NO

Is this a scam?  I haven't responded.

Tags (1)
Re: Text Advising of Asurion Claim - Scam?
Asurion_Official
Verified Partner

Hi StangSalie09! We can confirm that it is a legit text message and not a scam. That text is sent anytime an insurance claim is filed. This is an effort to help protect the security of your account. If you nor an authorized user on your account filed a claim, please respond with NO to the text message.  If you have any questions or concerns feel free to shoot us a private message here and we'd be happy to assist. 

0 Likes
MackieRowd

I received the same text and emails regarding an insurance claim I did not file. The email even contained a claim number. I contacted Asurion and I was told to ignore it. That's not a good answer. Any ideas? 

0 Likes
Asurion_Official
Verified Partner

Hi MacieRowd, we received your private message and provided you with some additional details there. However, if this ever happens in the future we always recommend replying "NO" to the text message. This will help quickly flag the open claim. In addition, we recommend updating the pin on your Verizon account and not sharing it with anyone other than an authorized user on your account. 

0 Likes
tia1989

I just recieved the same text message and I do not have a claim. I do not like to respond to text messages that I don't know who they are. The number it's coming from is 648-80.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

tia1989, we definitely want to make sure that we can determine why this message was sent to you as well as the best steps for handling this today. I have sent a Private Message, so that we can further review this for you at your earliest convenience.

KevinM_VZW

0 Likes
mgeorgeviolin

I have REPEATEDLY gotten these text messages, as well as a notice in the mail saying that my claim was denied (I did not file a claim) and as of yesterday I received 3 new text message notifications about claims, as well as two emails- one thanking me for creating my claim (another claim I didn't create) and again, after I called Asurion about this AND changed my verizon pin, I received an email this afternoon asking me to complete my claim documents. This whole thing is extremely frustrating and I don't understand how someone is hacking my account- whether it is through Asurion or Verizon. No one seems to be able to give me an answer, or care at all. But it feels gross that someone is trying to scam money from me and these two companies, even if it goes nowhere because the blockhead still has the email and documentation sent to me. 

I read that Asurion paid out 350,000 dollars to some former employee extortionist who claimed to have more than 100 terabytes of Asurion's "sensitive data," including thousands of employees’ Social Security numbers and banking information and “over a million customers’ names, addresses, phone numbers and account numbers. 

So why? what's going on over there at Asurion? How are people just getting their hands on my personal information? Is it through this breach that I was not informed about (I had to google it).

Not a lot of faith in either Verizon or Asurion currently

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

It can be frustrating receiving unexpected text messages and about having a claim denied, mgeorgeviolin. Let me help to get some more details about those messages and see what's going on. Did you inform Asurion about the text messages you received and why your claim was denied? Did you complete the insurance claim as requested? There may have been confusion and when it comes to getting it straighten out, Asurion would do their best to assist you with your claim. 

EdwinW_VZW

0 Likes
Tweedr00

I received this same message from the following number: 648-80

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Hello, Tweedr00. It is important we verify where this message came form, and we will make sure any issues are addressed. Is it possible anyone on your account could have begun an insurance claim?  DavidR_VZW

0 Likes