Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Total Mobile Protection added without authorization - ripped off!
alexm887

COMMON VERIZON PROBLEM - ADDING "TOTAL MOBILE PROTECTION" WITHOUT CONSENT.  JUST ON THIS FORUM THERE ARE MANY PEOPLE DESCRIBING THE EXACT SAME SITUATION, SOME SAY THEY HAVE BEEN REFUNDED, OTHERS NOT.

I discovered today (yes I know, it's my responsibility to read my bill each month) that I've been charged $15/month for "total mobile protection" since December of 2018.  I buy cheap used phones and never agreed to this service.  This apparently started when I took my old phone into Verizon to have my phone number switched to my new phone. I've spoken with 3 customer service reps and here it goes:

Online chat rep:  no refunds offered on insurance

First phone call rep:  we can't offer you more than 3 months, Verizon's policy.  I protested, telling her I was owed the full amount.  After conversing with her supervisor, she then said that she could offer me half of what was owed, $150 (10 months).  I again said that I would need the full amount refunded,  so she said she was transferring me to the supervisor of a different department that handled these matters.

Supervisor from different department:  We can't offer more than 3 months.  I told her that the woman I just spoke with offered me half, and she said that they are not in control of what those customer service agents can offer.  She specifically said that if I called back I might get someone who offers nothing at all.  She finally at least read the notes from my previous call and agreed to $90, over $200 short of what was owed.  She said that if I declined the $90 offer, then the issue would be flagged as "resolved" and I would not have any chance of getting any money back.  She suggested I go into the store, but refused to contact them to help me resolve the issue. 

I feel like I've been robbed, they refuse to take any responsibility and told me "you should have been reading your bill".

There is NO CONSISTENCY in the "total mobile protection" refund policy.  I've been told no refunds, 3 months, 6 months, 10 months.  

I refused her $90 offer, and asked to speak with someone higher up, she said there was no one.  I asked again, and she said that she could have someone call me back in 24-48 hours.

NOTE: I have a recording of this call if anyone would like to observe the completely lack of policy regarding this issue.

Re: Total Mobile Protection added without authorization - ripped off!
Tigerstep

You have to take the L on this one for not watching your bills.

I had a Kindle sub through Amazon I forgot about (trial) and basically gave Amazon $50 for free. While it wasn't ideal, I took responsibility and canceled sub. Insurance through Verizon is no different.

You only have so much time to dispute a charge. Was Verizon at fault for the feature? If you didn't request it, yes. However, by not responding after the first few bills, it's the same as consenting to the charge. My advice is take this as a life lesson to look at your bills more often and maybe avoid store reps while you're at it.

Just letting you know any credit beyond 3 months is going above and beyond. Choosing greed can end up with you seeing nothing for compensation.

0 Likes
alexm887

Update:  After listening to my recordings the supervisor specifically said (after I said "can i call back and get to the person that was offering me more):

"If you call another rep, it all depends on the situation, the rep might be feeling more compassionate than the other one"

-UNACCEPTABLE.  The customer service representatives should not be in charge of deciding, if and what amount of money should be refunded.  I'll keep updating with more ridiculous inconsistencies, as well as links to others being charged for this without their knowing. 

0 Likes
Tigerstep

A rep can claim the sky is purple, doesn't make it any more true. They can't even credit $1 without supervisor approval. You had one willing to give you more beyond policy and turned it down.

You can either call back and potentially get nothing or take the offer that was presented. You're not getting credits dating back from 2018.

0 Likes
alexm887

So it's greed to desire a refund for a service I didn't want, never signed up for, but did not see in my bill?  And where does the "by not responding to the first few bills, it's the same as consenting to the charge" rule come from?  

Additionally, "3 months credit" is not a dollar amount.  And clearly this is not a standard, since the first rep I spoke with on the phone readily offered me more than this.  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

alexm887, I would be just as upset over being charged for something I never consented to either. I'm really sorry this happened. 

When you initially get insurance, you are notified via e-mail, or My Documents via My Verizon, of any changes that have taken place. Additionally, Asurion sends you mail and pamphlets, advising you of all the benefits you have, within about a month, (or less), of adding this feature. 

In the Customer Agreement, https://www.verizon.com/legal/notices/customer-agreement/?adobe_mc=MCMID%3D6791885633619060241337646..., you can scroll to

How and when can I dispute charges? 

This shows you can only dispute charges, up to 180-days. 

I would encourage you to take the offer provided. Again, I'm really sorry! 

Vanessa_VZW

etoven

Same issue. I do watch my bills and got the run around trying to take it off.

The consumers is not responsible for your phone provider committing sleazy acts, not catching it or catching it doesn't matter, wrong is wrong.

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes