Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Total Mobile Protection is a joke!
hwiskow

Why do I pay for device insurance and still have a deductable?

When I purchased a phone for my daughter, I opted for the total protection insurance. I willingly paid an additional $11 per month for her phone to have insurance. To date, I have paid out about $100 in premiums. She just dropped her phone and the screen cracked. I call to file a claim and am told I have to pay a $100 deductible to get her phone replaced. That isn't even for a brand new phone. That is for a refurbished phone. I do not have the option to get a new upgraded phone. It would have been easier to accept the deductible if it was for a newer phone. I am extremely disappointed with Verizon for offering device protection at this low standard. I am also disappointed with myself for agreeing to pay for a service that does nothing for me. I can find a used phone for about that price. I could proably even find a refurbished phone on Verizon's site for that price. I could have saved myself quite a bit of money from the start. Ridiculous.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Total Mobile Protection is a joke!
Snn5
Sr. Leader

Health/medical, life, car, etc....insurance.  You pay monthly for accidents and "just in cases."  You have deductibles on those too.  So.......why would a phone be different?  You don't get the same body part back that falls off, you don't get your life back, you don't get a new car......why would a phone be different?  Why would you expect to get a brand new anything from any insurance?

SimplySweetFace

It's not VZW/Assirion's fault that you along w/other people don't read the fine print that comes along w/the insurance. It can be either a new or refurbished phone. And it may or may not be the exact same phone that you currently have.

0 Likes
Snn5
Sr. Leader

I assume you are not talking to me.

0 Likes
SimplySweetFace

NO...You weren't the one complaining about the insurance.

flutterfly8497

Verizon isn't the only company to offer this type of insurance. Every wireless company does, actually, and most through Asurion like Verizon. You would pay $400-$1000 to replace a smartphone without an upgrade, and if you got the current phone at a discount then you would not have an upgrade available for that line. Personally, I don't carry insurance on my phones because I have a few spares and if I didn't have one, I would probably buy one from eBay or swappa. I have replaced the screen on my husband's Galaxy 4 three times for a total of $140, rather than getting someone else's refurbed phone which may have its own special set of issues. I replaced my son's basic phone for $20 from eBay, and it was a brand new phone, never activated. Just make sure you get the ESN and call customer service (or check one of the many websites available) to make sure it is a clean ESN. I would have given Verizon $150 for a used phone for him that he wouldn't have liked nearly as much.