Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: Early next week, we’ll be merging the current Fios and Wireless Communities into the all new Verizon Community! Beginning the evening of Sunday 12/4, both Communities will be placed in read-only mode. You’ll still be able to visit the Communities and browse content, but login will be disabled. On the afternoon of Monday 12/5, all users will be able to log into the new Verizon Community. We expect the new Community to be fully functional the morning of Friday 12/9. Additional details can be found in the Announcements board and under Featured Topics!
Total mobile protection useless
JOSSAN33

I've been with Verizon wireless for 2 years now since the release of the iPhone 6 Plus. When I purchased my iPhone I added the total protection to cover the phone in the situation it would be damaged and it has costed an additional $11 a month. I was explained that with the coverage, if my phone became damaged I would be able to bring it to a Verizon store and have it repaired or if needed replaced. Recently iPhone has suffered from a cracked screen and knowing I had protection coverage, I had assumed it would be covered to be repaired. I called the local store to ask about the process of getting the screen fixed and they had explained to me that I could bring it in to get the screen repaired and I would have to pay $199 for a deductible. When I bought the phone along with the coverage, I was never told about any sort of deductible. Had I known, I wouldn't have paid the additional $11 a month, which has totaled over $200 over the course of two years. To me it seems that with a $199 deductible on top of the monthly costs, the total protection plan is essentially useless and I couldn't imagine any scenario where it would be advantageous to purchase.

Labels (1)
Re: Total mobile protection useless
rcschnoor
Community Leader
Community Leader

I guess you should have checked to see what the deductible is. I have long recommended against getting insurance thru Verizon, however it is useful for some people who cannot seem to keep from breaking/losing their phone.

JOSSAN33

In hindsight that is what I would have done but when I'm told "if anything happens to the phone, you can bring it in and we'll fix it up" I didn't think that them "fixing it up for me" would be $199. Needless to say I won't be getting insurance through Verizon next time around.

sprmankalel
Leader

1.) You don't buy insurance from Verizon. You buy it fro Asurion and it gets billed through Verizon.

2.) It is like insurance on the car. You damage it, you pay the deductible and you get made whole. Good for loss or theft or liquid damage. Not so much for screens because Apple does replace the screen at a cost.

3.) Asurion sends you a brochure within 2 weeks of adding the insurance to your account and that brochure explains the details of the program. You should read it.

0 Likes
Erikrus

So you broke your 700 dollar phone and [removed] about paying 200 bucks for a replacement? and its Verizon's fault you don't understand how insurance works...Take a hard look in the mirror smh

Profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
JOSSAN33

I know Asurion handles the repairs but I could care less because Verizon is the one my money goes to. As for the brochure, I never received it because it was most likely sent to my old address I lived in five years ago. When I bought the phone Verizon actually had my phone shipped to that old address even though I explicitly told them I had moved. Also I'm fully aware of how insurance works such as with a car and I apologize I didn't clarify everything in the original post. When I was offered the total protection it was explained to me as being more of an extended warranty rather than an insurance. I've purchsed extended warrantys for several devices in the past such as xbox 360 and PSP which ended up needing replacement and it was a simply matter of going to the store and getting it replaced. This was how I understood the total protection plan to work. I'm aware now that I should have done more research on it before purchasing it, and I'm not blaming Verizon for the fact my phone is broken. I just think I was decieved regarding the total protection plan as it is something I would expect from a car salesman. Verizon has had the best wireless sevice I'd ever had but their customer service has overall been a horrible experience for me.

JOSSAN33

I just wanted to clarify that I'm not blaming Verizon my my phone breaking. When I was offered the total protection it was explained to me as being more of an extended warranty which I have gotten for most expensive electronics I buy. My complaint is more directed towards the representive sold me the phone and coverage because he did not mention a deductible and he described it as an extended warranty which he specifically mentioned it covering cracked screens. As I mentioned in a response to someone, I have had no problems with the actual wireless services Verizon provides, but I am disappoint that they resorted to car salesman tactictis in order to make a few extra bucks and then respond with you should have read the fine print. Again I want to reiterate that my issue isn't necessarily with Verizon or even the total protection plan itself. My issue is with the way the protection plan was decieptfully explained to me.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It isn't Verizon's fault that you didn't bother changing both the service address and the billing address saved in your MyVerizon account? When you move, you are responsible for updating your records.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Leader

JOSSAN33 wrote:

I know Asurion handles the repairs but I could care less because Verizon is the one my money goes to. As for the brochure, I never received it because it was most likely sent to my old address I lived in five years ago. When I bought the phone Verizon actually had my phone shipped to that old address even though I explicitly told them I had moved. Also I'm fully aware of how insurance works such as with a car and I apologize I didn't clarify everything in the original post. When I was offered the total protection it was explained to me as being more of an extended warranty rather than an insurance. I've purchsed extended warrantys for several devices in the past such as xbox 360 and PSP which ended up needing replacement and it was a simply matter of going to the store and getting it replaced. This was how I understood the total protection plan to work. I'm aware now that I should have done more research on it before purchasing it, and I'm not blaming Verizon for the fact my phone is broken. I just think I was decieved regarding the total protection plan as it is something I would expect from a car salesman. Verizon has had the best wireless sevice I'd ever had but their customer service has overall been a horrible experience for me.

Let me clarify a few things here. Extended warranty is something completely different. As part of the premium you pay monthly for the TMP ($2 I believe) covers an extended warranty provided by VZW. That means, barring any physical damage (cracked screen) or liquid damage, your device would be replaced if defective. The other $9 covers the insurance which comes from Asurion. You cannot compare BestBuy's or Game Stop's extended warranties on game systems to VZW's extended warranty. Every company has the ability to run their program however they wish. As for the payment, yes it does go to VZW but they do not keep the portion that covers the monthly cost for Asurion's coverage. They send it to Asurion. There are other third party companies that will provide repair or replacement programs for your mobile devices but you must also read their TOS. As already stated, it is not Verizon's or Asurion's fault that you failed to update you address with them.

0 Likes
JOSSAN33

Ann, please allow me to enlighten you on the situation. I moved from Illinois in 2011 to Florida and then again to New Jersey in 2012. Up until the IPhone 6 came out in 2014, I was with T-Mobile and it wasn't until I bought my phone that I switched to Verizon, thus creating a new account. While purchasing the phone, I gave them my address in New Jersey where I had been living for two years to have that go on my account as my service and billing address. At some point during the process, the salesman needed my Illinois drivers license for some reason and while inputting my information on my drivers license into his tablet, I noticed he entered my Illinois address indicated on my drivers license. I clarified to him that this was an old address and I no longer lived there and he assured me that the phone would be sent to my address in New Jersey. When I received an email confirming my order, that is when I noticed that the phone was being sent to Illinois.