Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
total protection
msslim376

do both my cell phone total mobile protection

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: total protection
SuzyQ
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

ddanhrt64b wrote:

... if you take care of your phones you should save the monthly cost and not buy Total Mobile Protection for either of them.  Insurance companies depend on premiums from people who seldom or never need to use the policies they buy.  This is fair.  But when one needs to file a claim, it is not fair for the company to charge the same price initially invested in the device as a deductible.

We (my family, kids, several phones on a plan) discovered this long ago, and dropped insurance .  We simply took care of our phones and bought another if needed (thankfully, that wasn't often!!) with the $ saved in premiums and deductibles.  We DID insure one daughter's new iPhone for about 6 months, just in case, then dropped it once the cost outweighed the benefits.

And the deductible is published and a known amount ... you take that into consideration when deciding to carry the insurance.  As others have said, it's substantially less than the full cost of a new phone.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Weth
Sr. Leader

Not sure what your question is - If you are asking do you need Total Protection on each phone to protect both, the answer is yes.

0 Likes
ddanhrt64b

I have been paying $11.00 per month for total mobile protection for over a year.  The deductible I paid today to get a replacement device was $149.00.  Look at the cost first:  11x12=132, so $132.00 in monthly premiums. Add the deductable of $149.00 to $132.00 and the total is $281.00.

An identical refurbished Verizon device is listed at $212.99 on Overstock.com.  Similar prices can be found elsewhere.

The "plan" from Assurion, with deductibles so high did not, to say the least, save me any money.  In fact, including the monthly premiums.  It would have cost a good bit less to save the monthly premium and buy a replacement.

In fact, at the time I bought the phone, June 7, 2015, it cost me $149.99 + $40.00 upgrade fee or $189.99, and it was a new device.

On a newer device, the cost would have been reasonable.  I have a Samsung Galaxy S5, which is no longer promoted by Verizon.

My answer to your question is that if you take care of your phones you should save the monthly cost and not buy Total Mobile Protection for either of them.  Insurance companies depend on premiums from people who seldom or never need to use the policies they buy.  This is fair.  But when one needs to file a claim, it is not fair for the company to charge the same price initially invested in the device as a deductible.

flutterfly8497

The price initially invested was a deeply discounted price. That $699 phone cost you $189...a pretty good deal, wouldn't you say? The insurance doesn't cover you to get an upgraded, newer device, it covers the device you have. So in total you bought two of the same phone, one brand new and the other CPO, for less than the price of one new phone.

0 Likes
LENNYEDGE

yes if one breaks you got another,

0 Likes
flutterfly8497

Not exactly.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

ddanhrt64b wrote:

... if you take care of your phones you should save the monthly cost and not buy Total Mobile Protection for either of them.  Insurance companies depend on premiums from people who seldom or never need to use the policies they buy.  This is fair.  But when one needs to file a claim, it is not fair for the company to charge the same price initially invested in the device as a deductible.

We (my family, kids, several phones on a plan) discovered this long ago, and dropped insurance .  We simply took care of our phones and bought another if needed (thankfully, that wasn't often!!) with the $ saved in premiums and deductibles.  We DID insure one daughter's new iPhone for about 6 months, just in case, then dropped it once the cost outweighed the benefits.

And the deductible is published and a known amount ... you take that into consideration when deciding to carry the insurance.  As others have said, it's substantially less than the full cost of a new phone.

0 Likes