Alert that says "updating smart family companion data"
210Darryl
Enthusiast - Level 1

I get an alert on my phone that says "updating smart family companion data". The issue is I don't have that installed, so what's it updating?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Alert that says "updating smart family companion data"
RANHAR35
Enthusiast - Level 1

This started showing up on my GS5 Android phone a few days ago as well.  I never installed the app either.  Then I noticed the app is called "Companion".  I went to Settings / Applications / Application Manager, scrolled down to "Companion" and uninstalled it.

View solution in original post

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is it installed on another phone on your account?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
210Darryl
Enthusiast - Level 1

No. Until the alert started showing up I'd never heard of it.

0 Likes
NOSPAM555
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same here. The same message has been on my phone for a few days now, and I do not have the app installed, and never have. Why is Verizon trying to independently install and update something that I don't have, and have never installed?

RBSHOP

I use the Smart Family app (parent account) and I have been getting the same notification "Updating Smart Family Data". The notification appears and stays for quite a long time (I haven't timed how long) and unable to clear the notification. I swipe the notif. to close it but it will not clear. The only way I can get it to go away is to reboot my Note 5 only to have the notif. reappear some time later. I have also noticed in the last few days, my battery is draining faster than ever having to recharge phone several times a day. Typically only charge once mid-day and now several times a day. Could be a coincidence. Probably not but, could be.

Why is this notif. Appearing now?...and not allowing me to clear it. Feels like I'm being hijacked since I cannot control it. I've used the Smart Family app for a couple of months now and never saw this notif. until the last few days.

Please fix...

0 Likes
RANHAR35
Enthusiast - Level 1

This started showing up on my GS5 Android phone a few days ago as well.  I never installed the app either.  Then I noticed the app is called "Companion".  I went to Settings / Applications / Application Manager, scrolled down to "Companion" and uninstalled it.

MARMAR26
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you, RANHAR35.  I had the same symptom, and your solution worked for me.

For those who might wonder, the "Updating Smart Family Companion" message appeared on my phone from Oct 4th until Oct 10th when I uninstalled "Companion".  Before the uninstall, it might have drained my battery a little faster than usual.  (I have a Samsung Galaxy 5)

NOSPAM555
Enthusiast - Level 1

Found Companion and uninstalled it as well. Stopped the service before that and the updating message went away. No idea how the app got on the phone as I never installed it.

0 Likes
MICMIN34
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just uninstalled it to.  Hopefully it will stop it.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I see why the sudden change in your device's notification behavior and battery life has you concerned, RBSHOP. I would be too, so I'm glad you're bringing these new issues to my attention. To get started, I'd like you to use the steps at https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-175618/ and let me know the Build Number you see on your Note 5. Are all your applications, especially the Smart Family app, up to date using the steps at https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-211403/ as well? Focusing on the notification, do you notice if you are connected to cellular data or Wi-Fi when the notification pops up? And are you able to browse the internet or even access data usage through the Smart Family app while it appears? 

Jennifer_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes