Automatically disconnecting one child's phone from Smart Family Companion App
amybeee
Enthusiast - Level 1

We are using Verizon Smart Family premium, and one of my children's phones keeps removing permissions for the Smart Family app.  The other child's phone stays connected.  My son was listening to a class in front of me the last time it disconnected, so I'm certain that he's not removing the permissions.  How do we stop this, so we aren't resetting the permissions multiple times a day?

0 Likes
Re: Automatically disconnecting one child's phone from Smart Family Companion App
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@amybeee ,

It's quite unusual that permissions for Smart Family are being removed on its own, so we'll need to get more details to best assist. When you say that "it disconnected" when your son was listening to a class, what exactly happened? For example, did you get a notification on your phone (what exactly did it show) and did anything similar show up on your son's phone? Are you going into his phone to remake these permissions, or using the Smart Family app on your own phone? 

-Russell

Re: Automatically disconnecting one child's phone from Smart Family Companion App
amybeee
Enthusiast - Level 1

It automatically disconnects, I get a message at the top of my screen sometimes saying that it's disconnected, and if I log into the Family app I have a yellow box at the top telling me that it has disconnected. When he goes into the family companion app, he has a message at the top that says that it has disconnected. There's a button to press to fix it, which takes him into the app settings so he can once again re-enable the app. Has never happened on my daughter's app, happens multiple times a day for my son. Help!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

amybeee, thank you for sharing this helpful information. Let's continue to review. When did this concern start? What is the Make/Model of your son's device? Can you please confirm that his device has the latest Software Update? Also, is the Companion app up to date on his device? 

-Sylvia

chicagojaybyrd
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon app disconnects from child's phone. I get a text notification that it has been disconnected and to send a text. Then when I go into the Smart Family App, it tells gives me an option to "fix now" or "not now". Happens every day.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi chicagojaybyrd! So you can fix this please help us to check if the app has any update or please try to remove the app from your device and reinstalled again.

>Luis

0 Likes
FrogsDoowa
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same issue.  It happens every night.  I thought my son was doing it but it seems like I may have been wrong.  How do we stop this from happening?  He has a Samsung Galaxy S9+

If he is the one doing it, how do I block him from uninstalling the app on his phone?  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's see what's happening. Please tell me, does the device need an update? 

https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-211865/

-Carter

0 Likes
OldRelics
Enthusiast - Level 1

I see that there hasn't been much movement on this forum for a while, but I thought I'd add that I've been dealing with this with my daughter's phone for over 2 years and over 2 different phones. I have even had the phone in my possession at the time of it disconnecting, so I can confirm that it's not her who is doing this.

Currently she has a Google Pixel 4a. This also happened on her Samsung Galaxy A2 before this phone. This started the moment that I put the app on her phone. This happens about 1-5 times a day. Her device is up-to-date and I have reinstalled the app multiple times and is currently up-to-date.

Same as others are describing: I get a text from Smart Family Verizon saying that her app was removed. If I use her phone and launch the app (that was not actually removed), it asks us to fix it and asks to enable the permission for the Companion App. It then is fixed and the connection is reestablished.

Has anyone found a solution to this? Is there something that must be done so that permission doesn't get spontaneously turned off? Is there maybe another action which turns it off inadvertently? Thank you!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We understand the importance of keeping control of the Family Companion App. Although this is not a usual situation, we want to make sure that it works properly. It's important to mention that you must not share your code with the companion device to make sure there are no unauthorized changes. Have you tried updating your code? You can find out more info here: https://www.verizon.com/support/verizon-smart-family-faqs/ ~Geo

0 Likes