Can I set up restricted access on my children's phone?
ictdog
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a program that restricts my children from using their cell phones after certain hours but they figured out that if they change the time to am from pm, they circumvent the restrictions...is there a way to lock the system down with a PIN code or password?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: restrict access to setup
ictdog
Enthusiast - Level 1

My kids are both 13 and yes, taking away was a consideration...and a pain. I am looking at FamilyBase through Verizon that disconnects at the ISP time, not the cell time, but I am not sure if it also restricts wifi...My next solution was waiting on Mesh Technology to redo wy wifi situation at home and Linksys has a solution in their Velop system...it has parental controls through MAC addresses connected and can lock that down by individual devices...costs a bit more but I was needed a wider coverage solution in the home anyway.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

How old are the "kids"?  Because they deliberately circumvented the restrictions, my solution would be to take the phones away entirely during those restricted hours.  They get them back in the morning.

If they are  on your home wifi you may be able to lock their IP out during those hours with router settings. 

Kids will find ways around - the sure way is to take the phone away, but I realize that may not be an option in all situations.

ictdog
Enthusiast - Level 1

My kids are both 13 and yes, taking away was a consideration...and a pain. I am looking at FamilyBase through Verizon that disconnects at the ISP time, not the cell time, but I am not sure if it also restricts wifi...My next solution was waiting on Mesh Technology to redo wy wifi situation at home and Linksys has a solution in their Velop system...it has parental controls through MAC addresses connected and can lock that down by individual devices...costs a bit more but I was needed a wider coverage solution in the home anyway.

0 Likes
millerman61
Enthusiast - Level 3

Then they will learn about MAC spoofing. 

I am glad mine are grown up.......:)

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

ictdog wrote:

My kids are both 13 and yes, taking away was a consideration...and a pain. I am looking at FamilyBase through Verizon that disconnects at the ISP time, not the cell time, but I am not sure if it also restricts wifi...

At 13, I would just take the phones away at night as a consequence of their deliberate disobedience of the restrictions you placed.  You said it would be "a pain" - for whom?  You, or them?

Family Base will not restrict wifi - you can do that at your router, until they figure out the MAC spoofing.  Or you could just turn the router OFF at night too.

The simplest is just to take the phones away; they need to learn consequences and discipline.  Just my thoughts....