Companion app VPN periodically blocks all internet traffic
ShawnMco
Enthusiast - Level 1

The companion app VPN on my child's android phone periodically stops all internet traffic, cellular and wifi. The only solution has been to uninstall the companion app (which immediately fixes the network problem), and reinstall it. After reinstallation it can be hours or days before the VPN starts blocking all traffic again. 

Re: Companion app VPN periodically blocks all internet traffic
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for reaching out to us for assistance. I'm sure we can help you, and I'm sorry to learn about what's going on. The first step would be to clear the app cache on your child's phone. Removing and reinstalling the app does clear the cache, but you can definitely clear the cache without completing those steps. We can provide you with the steps to do that. What is the make and model of your child's Android?

-Jordan

0 Likes
KSNOWDEN9714
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same exact problem here. Tech support is clueless. Claims Smart Family doesn't HAVE a VPN, lol. IPhone 12.

jimmyt2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can you provide instructions? This is intermittently happening to my son.  When it is happening he can't even pull up his school's web site to upload homework.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are happy to provide you the steps need to complete this, please send us a Private Message, so we can assist. 

*Lisa

devalera1916
Enthusiast - Level 1

My son is having the same problem. The Companion VPN seems to be kicking him off all the networks. I am wondering what the steps are to fix the situation? Thanks. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are here to help with any pending concerns regarding your son's service. Please send us a Private Note at your earliest convenience to better assist.

~Vic

0 Likes
Bbliss
Enthusiast - Level 1

I ran into the same issue. The solution I found was I kept the companion app on my child’s phone, however, I removed the VPN which was blocking the internet to work properly on the child’s phone. Removing the VPN solved my issue. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello! Glad to hear that that issues was resolved. If you run into more issues please don't hesitate to reach out to us, we are here 24/7. 

*Leyla

0 Likes