Disable Trusted Contacts
Grappleapple
Enthusiast - Level 1

This isn’t a question, it’s a suggestion.

offer the option to disable this feature. It is poorly supported causing many issues upon set up. Lack of clarity means my kids have had issues in emergencies. It’s ridiculous to limit texts and calls to 20 and is obviously aimed at very small children. Fine, but not suitable for a teenager.

there is mixed info from your staff on whether it can be disabled or not. 

Re: Disable Trusted Contacts
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate your feedback on this feature. So sorry to hear that your kids have had trouble with emergency situations due to this. At this time, you are unable to disable the trusted contacts feature. But I will lift this up to have it reviewed. 

ErinW_VZW

0 Likes
tzehr
Enthusiast - Level 1

Is the trusted contacts able to be disabled at this time? It is now six months since this has been discussed.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I understand this suggestion was lifted up but currently there has been no change to Trusted Contacts. All the current information can be found here. https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-155860/

karif
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same issue.  Was this reviewed?  Can I now disable trusted contacts?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We will be happy to help with any concerns you have about your Verizon service. Please send us a Private Note at your earliest convenience to better assist. 

VictorC_VZW

0 Likes
eeblackoak
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had to change my plan from Just Kids, with all of the Web protection offered, to an adult line, because Trusted Contacts is DANGEROUS for children that are 10 and up.

There could be a situation where a child could call for help, but not be able to because that number is not on the Trusted Contacts. For instance there could be a Poison Control phone number posted and a younger sibling could be hurt or die because the number was not in the Trusted Contacts.

In my opinion, Verizon might be, and should be liable in the case of such injury, now that they are aware of the problem.

They should change this foolish policy and allow the Trusted Contacts to be enabled or disabled, much as many other features in Smart Family are.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

eeblackoak,

I definitely appreciate your feedback and we're glad to pass it on. At this time though Trusted Contacts are a part of the Just Kids plan. This limitation is a key component of the plan and what it is built around. In case of an emergency, these phones can absolutely still call 911 who should be able to help connect with anyone else if that is needed. If that plan doesn't seem like the right fit for your family, then we have many other plan options available and switching to one of them is absolutely the way to go. Our content filter options can absolutely be added to other plans as well if those are still needed. You can find details about this at http://spr.ly/6609ylvBt -Andrew

0 Likes
MRPeace
Enthusiast - Level 1

Maybe Verizon should let parents parent the way that they want - if we want to disable trusted contacts, we should be able to do so. There are a million reasons why a parent would want to do this, aside from calling emergency. The customer is always right - you have forgotten this.