Family Base Frustrations. Setting Daily Limits, is there a way?
fireviperdad

Spent an hour chatting with Verizon yesterday both online and on the phone, and another hour today. Trying to set both daily usage and schedule limits for my daughter's phone. Apparently, there's a bug somewhere and the restrictions are not taking. Today they've issued a ticket, so hopefully that will be resolved.

Yesterday, I was assured by both a standard chat person and by their supervisor that the settings under the usage tab were daily limits. I told them that it sure doesn't look that way, instead it looks like they are monthly limits. I was told "Rest Assured" (a common phrase apparently, as two different people used the phrase yesterday and one today), the limits reset every day and are indeed daily limits. Today, I was told exactly the opposite: that the limits are actually monthly as I had originally thought. UGH.

Does anyone know of a way within Family Base to control daily usage? I'd like to set a daily limit of perhaps 60 minutes and have my daughter manage her time accordingly. I think it would drive more personal responsibility and better habits than simply taking the phone away or cutting it off via the Family Base App. She is using an iPhone, btw.

If Family Base can't, can anyone suggest an app that can.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Family Base Frustrations. Setting Daily Limits, is there a way?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

fireviperdad, we certainly want you to enjoy the benefits of using FamilyBase. I personally apologize for the inconvenience this issue is causing you. I've also noted your reference to a Trouble Ticket having been issued. That process allows our team of technicians to dig deeper into the issue to get it resolved. As a result, you'll receive status updates by text messages with 24-hour, 48-hour and 96-hour increments. Our team will do everything they can to get this matter resolved for you as quickly as possible.

In the meantime, I've noted your reference to your daughter using an iPhone. FamilyBase is compatible with Apple Smartphones. The FamilyBase Parent app is available for the iPhone; however, the companion (or child) app is not. Although the child app is not available for the iPhone you can still monitor calling, text and data usage through the Parent app. However, you are not able to monitor app usage or lock their phone. This website link will provide information about setting data limits for Apple devices at: http://vz.to/2A3Gr4x.

I also use FamilyBase with my own account. Changes to the Controls settings can be made at any time and as often as you like. The changes may take a few minutes to become effective.

This is very important. When you first set up time restrictions, data limits and purchase limits on the user’s device, you'll need to turn THAT device off and back on again AFTER the Control is saved. This will allow the Control to become effective. You won't need to do this if you make changes in the future. Please try this option and keep us updated.

I know I’ve provided a lot of information for your review but your account concerns are our concerns too. We'll leave no stone un-turned in working to resolve the issue you're experiencing with the FamilyBase feature.  - RobertC_VZW  

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
fireviperdad

Thanks for the detailed reply. Unfortunately, I remain exceedingly disappointed with Family Base. I received a reply to the ticket, telling me my issue was resolved. It's not.

Last night, an hour after the restrictions supposedly kicked in my daughter received a facetime call and was able to place the same. After another hour chatting with an extremely nice and informative Verizon rep, it was explained to me that the reason she's able to receive facetime calls is because they go over wifi and wifi isn't restricted.

I shared the following with her from Verizon's website:

"FamilyBase®. Set smarter boundaries with​ ​parental​ ​controls. FamilyBase helps you find the right balance between device time and family time. Establish time and data controls, and whether your kids are on Wi-Fi or using your data, you can block apps and set content filters."

The Verizon rep told me that's just not accurate and pointed me to the fine print, and I really appreciated her honesty and candor, even apologizing for the misinformation:

"You can set up time restrictions to:

• Stop calls. Your child will only be able to communicate with designated Trusted Contacts or 911.
  • Stop messages from being sent or received. This includes messaging activities that are sent or received over the Verizon network as well as third-party apps, such as, Facebook and Twitter®. Your child will only be able to send or receive text and multimedia messages to and from designated Trusted Contacts. Any messages not controlled by FamilyBase will be allowed during time restrictions.
  • Restrict data access. This includes the ability to download apps and content, and access the internet. All data services will be unavailable, except for the My Verizon app, Data Usage Meter, Verizon Cloud and multimedia messages to and from Trusted Contacts.

Note: Restricting data access won't prevent access using a Wi-Fi connection."

The last line clearly contradicting Verizon's sales pitch from their website.

Just an awful experience Verizon. Dishonest and very disappointing. Wasted hours of my time on a set of parental controls that are easily circumvented.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know there has been a lot of confusion, frustration and disappointment around your Family Base experience. There have been some recent improvements to the feature that include parental control over WiFi. They include app blocking, website restrictions, on-demand internet pausing, and content filters. To be able to use these features the parent phone must have the Family base application installed on their phone and the FamilyBase Companion(Android) or iOS Mobile Device Manager for Apple.  http://spr.ly/6580D8IbM

DerekR_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
MALWHI19

How do you block internet usage "on demand"?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MALWHI19, we're here to help with your internet limits. Do you currently have Family Base? Please explain what you want to do specifically with your data limits. Here is some helpful information. 

http://spr.ly/6588DTnpC;

JoelR_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes