Family Base limit issue
skipciv

We recently activated Family Base and set data restrictions for my son. Two days ago he reached the limit that I set and it appeared that is data did shut down, but yesterday morning I looked at his usage and was informed we have incurred an overage of .0004GB.  How is it possible to have an overage if the system is designed to stop all data on that phone at the prescribed limit?  I verified that the limit I had set was equal to what he had remaining for the billing period.

this is the activity after the limits were set the day before.

01/11/20141:03 PM0.00107
01/11/20147:03 AM0.00050
01/11/20141:03 AM0.00049
01/11/20141:02 AM0.00002
01/11/20141:02 AM0.00005

There appears to be no activity today.  Is there a prescribed amount of time from when I set the limits to when they actually go into effect on the phone?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Family Base limit issue
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello skipciv. FamilyBase is a great way to manage data usage for your account. After limits are set, it is important to powercycle the device so the restrictions can go into effect immediately. If the device is not powercycled, it can take up to 24 hours for the restrictions to go into effect. This may or may not result in a higher usage for the first month you use FamilyBase.
If a data session is started, the usage will continue until the data session ends. For example, if the limit you have set is 500 MB, and your son starts using data when he has already used 499 MB out of 500 MB, the usage will continue until that data session has ended.

AndreaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Family Base limit issue
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello skipciv. FamilyBase is a great way to manage data usage for your account. After limits are set, it is important to powercycle the device so the restrictions can go into effect immediately. If the device is not powercycled, it can take up to 24 hours for the restrictions to go into effect. This may or may not result in a higher usage for the first month you use FamilyBase.
If a data session is started, the usage will continue until the data session ends. For example, if the limit you have set is 500 MB, and your son starts using data when he has already used 499 MB out of 500 MB, the usage will continue until that data session has ended.

AndreaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes