Family Locator Does not work
snowoj

After about two day of getting reports the service stops and the only way I get it to start again is to log in to the website and locate my family member then I get all the old location report to me at once via text. Then it works for a couple more day and stops. Has been doing this for at least a month. Not the phone change phones same thing . . Removed the client and reinstalled same thing . . . This service is a joke!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Family Locator Does not work
Not applicable

Thanks to all the community responses.

@ Billboy :

I can see how having this problem for months can be very troubling.   The issue you are having with the GPS is odd.  Do you have any issues with other location based apps like VZ Navigator?  Have you tried to turn your location on and off? If not try these steps:

From the main screen, press OK [Menu]
Scroll to Settings & Tools, press OK
Scroll to Phone Settings press OK.
Scroll to Location, press OK.
Choose Location Off (then turn it back on).

Can you please also tell me the zip code in which you are using the application?

Having these answers will help me troubleshoot your issue.  Thank you.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Elitist_Jerk
Contributor - Level 2

Sounds like the service works.. I'm confused on the issue

you log into a website, locate and it locates??

0 Likes
AnthonyTa_VZW
Verizon Employee

snowoj wrote:

After about two day of getting reports the service stops and the only way I get it to start again is to log in to the website and locate my family member then I get all the old location report to me at once via text. Then it works for a couple more day and stops. Has been doing this for at least a month. Not the phone change phones same thing . . Removed the client and reinstalled same thing . . . This service is a joke!

Hello snowoj!

I know how important it is to be able to locate family members, especially in crucial times!  I would be happy to assist!

I would need additional information to ensure a good resolution.  What model devices are using the Family Locator service?  Which device(s) are the Locator, and which are the Locatee?  Do the Locatee devices have GPS enabled?  Are there any Usage Control features on the lines of service?  Where are the devices, typically, when experiencing the problem?  What error message(s) do you receive when experiencing the problem?

Looking forward to your response so I can further troubleshoot.

0 Likes
Billboy

I've had similar problems for months now.  The phone is an LG Octane.   More importantly, it almost never uses GPS to target an exact location. The problem appears worse when the phone is inside, but even when it is outside the accuracy is pretty bad.   The location problem occurs whether I am using a PC or my phone to locate.

0 Likes
srlagarto

If the phone can't send or receive texts (full inbox, parental controls, etc.), then GPS location won't work, and you'll only get the larger tower-based location.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Thanks to all the community responses.

@ Billboy :

I can see how having this problem for months can be very troubling.   The issue you are having with the GPS is odd.  Do you have any issues with other location based apps like VZ Navigator?  Have you tried to turn your location on and off? If not try these steps:

From the main screen, press OK [Menu]
Scroll to Settings & Tools, press OK
Scroll to Phone Settings press OK.
Scroll to Location, press OK.
Choose Location Off (then turn it back on).

Can you please also tell me the zip code in which you are using the application?

Having these answers will help me troubleshoot your issue.  Thank you.

0 Likes
Billboy

The zipcode is 20850.  I will try to reset the location control.  I don't use VZ Navigator.

0 Likes
djdarrin
Enthusiast - Level 1

We just got a phone for our daughter and added the family locator to it (she has the Intensity 2).  This software, I have to say, is a joke.  We both have Droid X's and the best that we can get is a target range of anywhere between 2 and 5.6 miles.  Umm, considering most of her locations are with a half mile of our house, how does this gigantic target range do anything for us?  I also sent up some Updates, like sending us a text whenever she gets to school or leaves it.  Drove her to school today and have still not recieved any texts letting me know that she arrived... 

Inside or outside, this service does not work.  Even better, the only app that Verizon endores for this feature doesn't even work on most phones.  Add it to our Droids, pick it, welcome screen comes on, pick 'OK' and it kicks out.  Every time.  Over and over.  Finally downloaded family locator (V) app from somewhere else but it still behaves just like the family locator website - "your phone has been found in an 5.6 mile radius of such-and-such address" !  Brilliant.  Glad we haven't lost her yet..........

I would like to cancel this service, but apparently Verizon does not want you to have an easy way to do this.  There is no location anywhere on the website where you can disable this (worthless) feature.  I guess I need to, yet again, call customer service.

mmacek

I have the the same problem with my LG Octane and family locator with the exact location. It will never give you the "Refined" location. I reported this issue to Verizon over a year ago!  They open up a problem ticket with LG, but I never heard back from LG or Verizon. I spent days on the phone with tech support and Verizon engineers. I am shocked they haven't resolved the issue by now!

0 Likes
resherw

I have used Verizon Chaperone since the first day it was available years ago.  The system worked great and was accurate.  Since the last few "upgrades" it is now worthless.   I have never talked to a Verizon Rep that even had a clue about how the system worked and had to learn the tricks myself over the years.  However, as of yesterday I gave up and canceled my Family Locator service since it has completely stopped working (about 6 months ago). 

Please bring back the older Chaperone software that worked...... I would sign back up if you did.

0 Likes