Family Locator www.bingmapsportal.com
TerryStockner

My Verizon Family Locator app on my Droid 2 Global shows this lovely white rectangle box "The specified credentials are invalid.  You can sign up for a free developer account at http://www.bingmapsportal.com"

I have tried uninstall/reinstalling the app and the message stays on the screen regardless if I zoom in or move the map location it is always in the center of the screen. 

Any suggestions?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Family Locator www.bingmapsportal.com
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi there TerryStockner!

What a perplexing situation. Hey, even for me I know a white rectangle with the specified error you presented would have been an eyebrow raiser. So, let's delve into the deep end to get this fixed.

Of course, I truly appreciate all you've done thus far regarding troubleshooting with uninstalling/reinstalling the app itself. In order to get to the bottom of things, I do have a few more questions. When did this begin? Have you never had an issue with Family Locator at your location before? What's your zip code? The reason I inquire into your location is because this is a service which works only while on our network (as opposed to potentially roaming). You can verify this at http://bit.ly/ymXLCI . In the meantime, please dial *228, choose option 2, and power cycle your phone. Also, make sure your location services are enabled going to settings > location & security. I look forward to hearing back if this doesn't work.

EvanO_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
TerryStockner

Thanks for the reply.  I have been working via phone with Verizon support.   Zip code etc has not changed.  The app was updated.  We have rebuilt / reset the phone and I am still getting the error.  A refurbished replacement is on its way.  One thing I noted and will mention here; apparently there are two versions of family locator.  There is the "Verizon Family Locator" and "VZ Family Locator" in the play store and you will only see the one compatible for your phone.   I use the "Verizon" one.

Once my replacement phone is setup I will post the results here for future Google searches Smiley Happy

I am attaching a picture so you can see the error.  (Sorry I had to re-size and rotate to meet the limits for upload)FamilyLocError.jpg

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you so much for keeping us in the loop, Terry! I look forward to hearing that it is working well with the replacement device!

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
cgraf

The same issue just started happening on my wife's Incredible 2.  I also followed the steps of uninstall/reinstall the "Verizon Family Locator" app and rebooted the phone multiple times with no luck.  No other changes have been made to the phone, no other apps installed recently, and it's not roaming.  I did *228 and then verified all location services are enabled.  I did not reset the phone to factory and prefer to avoid it.  I would post a picture but it is the same as already posted in this thread.

I did notice that if I used the browser on the phone and went to the https://fl.vzw.com that I did not get the error. 

Update on this issue would be helpful so we can use the "Verizon Family Locator" app itself rather than the mobile browser.

0 Likes
freedown99

Is anyone at Verizon troubleshooting this problem?  The original report was posted on April 25 and it is now May 11 and it's still not working for other people as well.  It also appears to be happening with Bing Map users on AT&T.  Hey Verizon, what's up?

0 Likes
BBD3850

Curious that there is still no fix. I have had this problem for months. Verizon Customer Support went through all you mentioned and it's still there (white bar with bing message).  I have to move the map above or below to see the area covered by the bar. complete waste of the app.  Did getting a new phone fix the problem?  Not so good since I'm paying for the service....

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

BBD3850,

We are diligently working to ensure that you have a fantastic application in Verizon Family Locator. We have updated the application as of May 22nd, 2013. Are you continuing to see similar issues with the device? Has the cache and data been cleared from the application on your device. The data and cache can be cleared by heading into Settings > Applications > All > Verizon Family Locator. I appreciate that the forum has been working with us to find a solution to the concerns that has arisen.

YosefT_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
freedown99

I have cleared the data and the cache and it has not fixed the  problem.

Annette

>> personal information removed <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
freedown99

Thank you for sending this message.  I went out and downloaded the  latest

update and it seems to have resolved the problem for me.

Thank you,

Annette

>> personal information removed <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes