Re: Family base vpn issue on school wifi
MARDRI81

We're having the same issue.  I've talked to two people at VZW, but they swear it's an apple problem.  The issue started happening when we got family base, and it's the VPN that's causing the problem.  VZW had me upgrade the software to one of the phones, didn't resolve the problem.  They searched online and "couldn't find anyone else having this issue."  I'm removing family base today because my high schooler keeps texting me with pictures of error messages he's receiving.  He's so frustrated at school every day not being able to get to the sites his teachers require.  Examples, block.familybase.vzw.com Not Trusted, Cannot verify server identity for outlook.com, cannot browse school classroom site (even though it's been approved by me), etc.  I have been charged so much overage the last few months, it's gotten ridiculous.  Last month was like 5 gb over (so ~$75, on top of an already too high of a bill).  Not for a lack of trying to use wifi, either.  I'm very close to cancelling my VZW service when I cancel family base.  I've been a long time customer, so I've held out canceling, but it may be time.  I signed up for a certain service at a certain monthly rate, and going over every month due to a VZW problem isn't my idea of them keeping to their end of the service.  Apart from angry kids getting mad at me every day for "doing something stupid to their phones so they don't work anymore."  It's good to see that I'm not the only one having this problem, as VZW told me I was (although I wish I was the only one - sorry fellow frustrated parents).

0 Likes
PHARMKC
Enthusiast - Level 2

It’s very aggravating. My son just goes onto his phone in settings and disables it...so im pretty sure it’s not really helping us here. Lol

0 Likes
RANJITGORAY
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same issue. I spent over 2 hours on Support chat with 3 agents explaining them and they kept transferring but with no luck. This is an issue with the Family companion app. Have latest iOS on my sons iPhone6 and this worked well when it was family base. After the change to companion app, once he is on companion app, cannot connect to Wi-Fi and disabling VPN, keeps connecting it back. So the only way to connect to internet is with Wi-Fi off and burning through Verizon data. They need to fix this as otherwise the monthly cost for this is a waste.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Ranjitgoray, as a mother of 3, I know how important that Wi-Fi connection can be. None of us want our costs to increase. We do want to work to get to the bottom of this. Have you attempted any other Wi-Fi network?

LorenB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
RANJITGORAY
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, i have tried multiple Wi-Fi networks. His school's and at few of our friends as well. As mentioned this was working when it was the family base app, but after switching to family companion this has stopped. Also, if you check this thread there are many others who are facing the same issue

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

RANJITGORAY,

We appreciate the details. Please reset the network settings on his device, then test. What happens?

Just in case: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-207110/

KatiM_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
RANJITGORAY
Enthusiast - Level 2

Have already tried that with your support/chat. Also, removed the SIM and put it back with multiple resets. Has Verizon tested if this works. There are whole bunch of people in this thread who have pointed this issue.

You are asking me all the standard troubleshooting that 3 of your agents have already done.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate all the steps that you've been taking, RANJITGORAY. Let's dig further into this issue, so I can provide a good solution. Please take me through the steps that you use to get to the VPN setting. When you remove the Family Base Companion application, how do your restrictions work?

LynnD_VZW

0 Likes
RANJITGORAY
Enthusiast - Level 2

As mentioned multiple times, once you active the Family Companion it creates the Verizon VPN connection and then i am able to set content filters, pause internet etc. But at the same time, WiFi does not work so it is either your VPN or then need to remove Family companion and only then WiFi works. After removing Family Companion, obviously restrictions don't work, but i have a Netgear router and use OpenDNS which allows me to set controls per device that is connected toe home WiFi. That is not the issue.

I need WiFi to be working along with Family Base Companion. I have explained this multiple times and not sure what does over 10 support people from Verizon don't understand. I am tired of explaining this again and again and if this does not work, then i am going to ditch this service

PHARMKC
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon just keeps not answering. Multiple people same problem; they take days to respond with a non-answer. Really ridiculous.