How do you block a restricted caller
Willard84

I want to block any calls from a restricted, anonymous or otherwise bogus caller. Any way to do that? Vonage has anonymous call blocking, I'm hoping Verizon has something similar. Also, $5/month to block 20 numbers? Kinda lame.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How do you block a restricted caller
REDRAGTOP2001
Enthusiast - Level 1

I used one of those so-called number blocks from the AP store, and found myself getting more calls then ever, and having to block each one. I believe that AP was selling my number. I am finding that using this new Verizon seems to be working. I went into my individual number, and used the BLOCK all for Hidden, unknown, blocked, etc., and my phone has been quiet since then. No more, "this is Jennifer, blah, blah, blah"

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Use Mr Number app from the play store.  There are many similar blocking apps.  That is, if you use Android.

REDRAGTOP2001
Enthusiast - Level 1

I used one of those so-called number blocks from the AP store, and found myself getting more calls then ever, and having to block each one. I believe that AP was selling my number. I am finding that using this new Verizon seems to be working. I went into my individual number, and used the BLOCK all for Hidden, unknown, blocked, etc., and my phone has been quiet since then. No more, "this is Jennifer, blah, blah, blah"

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Yeah, I'm not paying Verizon more money every month to block x numbers and ID calls the same way a nationally recognized free app does.  Verizon sells the your number, and now they have access to your contacts as well...so....

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

All cellular numbers are public numbers. Carriers fought for people many years ago to keep cellular numbers private and telemarketers won. Carriers even asked their customers to help fight it. You can make your private by registering the DNC. Also keep in mind ANY company you do business with you give them the right to Telemarket you as long as you are doing business with them up to 45 days past that.

So any telemarketing you get may not even be from Verizon at all.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Yes, you can pay to find the name of a caller, and DNC does not work.  Mobile numbers do not appear on screen with ID on cellphones.  I have seen it on rare occurrence on my phone.  They may on landlines, hence NameShareID.  Do you mean to say every number that calls your phone is properly identified, except for restricted/blocked numbers?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It does work. Reread the last few lines. DNC works on unsolicited ones. If you believe they are unsolicited them you can contact DNC and they can help do something about it.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Reason why I say it does work is because in the past 3 years I have gotten 1 telemarketing call it was from an affiliate of my Bank(I bought a second home). I went and opted out from my bank. Any business dealing you make gives the business the option to call you for at least 45 days of your last business dealings. Getting a best buy card for example allows them to track and continue to market you every time you use it you reset that 45 day time limit. Also downloading certain apps if they give you a EULA might be a good idea to read them before using them. 🙂

I am very protective of my number and I make sure I opt out if available on any forms.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Mobile numbers do not appear on screen with ID on cellphones.  I have seen it on rare occurrence on my phone.  They may on landlines, hence NameShareID.  Do you mean to say every number that calls your phone is properly identified, except for restricted/blocked numbers?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

That's a different subject you are bringing up.  I am merely responding to what you said "Verizon sells the your number, and now they have access to your contacts as well...so....", " used one of those so-called number blocks from the AP store, and found myself getting more calls then ever", and I don't see where does "Mobile numbers do not appear on screen with ID on cellphones"

If they are calling via prepaid then it will say unknown with a number.  No one owns those in the traditional sense.  Also if it says unknown without a number then they blocked their number from being shown.  If it is in fact a telemarketer doing that then they are in violation of regulation and by reporting it to the Commission will help if no one does it then how are they going to know... Why do you think it isn't working at that point?

0 Likes