How to I block/restrict my boys from being to turn off the VPN on their phone?
PAUSCH45

My boys have figured out all they have to do is go into settings to turn off the VPN to bypass any restrictions I had set in the FamilyBase. Is there a way to block/restrict them from doing that?  Because if I can’t familybase is useless.  

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How to I block/restrict my boys from being to turn off the VPN on their phone?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

PAUSCH45, we know how important it is to be able to manage your kids' phone. We truly wish that there was a way to remotely stop them from doing that. When using a VPN the phone would bypass our network restrictions. If they are using a VPN app, you can uninstall the app from their phones, change their password for the Google or Apple account and make the phone require a password for every app download.

StevenG_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Re: How to I block/restrict my boys from being to turn off the VPN on their phone?
stef7
Master - Level 2

Sure. I think the Playstore has Application Blockers, that have you set a password only known to you, and then you basically block that app with the password.

Settings is an app, so block that one.

Try it. Hope it works for you.

0 Likes
17RAPTOR
Enthusiast - Level 1

Guys, what PAUSCH45 is saying is his/her boys can simply go on their iPhone, click settings, and toggle off VPN. It’s right on the main page of settings.

Once you install these new FamilyBase app restrictions, the iPhone has a VPN logo on the top toolbar next to the WiFi logo. Kids aren’t dumb. They figure out that ever since mom or dad messed with their phone and Instagram stopped working, the VPN logo came on. So, let’s turn off this VPN thing and I can be unrestricted.

If the kids kids can simply toggle off VPN to bypass FamilyBase restrictions, that renders this app pretty useless, huh?

i bet the software engineer Verizon paid to design the familybase app is reading this and getting a good laugh because he already got paid lol

stef7
Master - Level 2

I don't use VPN. Did the OP indicate the kids had iPhones? I thought if they were Android devices, there's a way to lock down Settings. But if you can get to it via the Notifcation pane, that would be a problem.

0 Likes
mdicus73

That is exactly what I found is that the app is totally useless with Iphone.

0 Likes
DAVCAR49
Enthusiast - Level 1

My kid's Family Base restrictions, wifi and activity log worked fine until I PAIRED his iPhone6 with the Family Base app.  Now it's virtually no use, as 17RAPTOR clarified, unless VZ can give a fix. 

STEVEJEN8
Enthusiast - Level 1

Any word on this? The child simply has to toggle off vpn on the settings screen. Iphone. No way to stop them. Why pay for a service if it can ne turned off so easily? It's not an app to be  blocked, and the child did not set up the vpn. It came on automatically after pairing the phones. Is there a solution yet? If not, I don't want to pay for this service any more.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

STEVEJEN8, I definitely understand the importance of having the restrictions for your children. Our assistance in this matter is to guide you with the products and services that we as your wireless provider have. At this point, seeing your children know how to bypass this feature, this is technically outside of our scope of assistance. My apologies in this matter. 

NatashaA_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

PHARMKC
Enthusiast - Level 2

is it Necessary to use VPN with the smart family app? Or can we use the Smart Family app and the ability to turn off the Internet without the VPN connection?

0 Likes