Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ID theft & call forwarding
i-am-the-real-me

Please help me with this someone. Backstory: I am a victim of ID theft. Some one I do not know has obtained my personal information and is using it to gain access to my current credit accounts and create new credit accounts by falsely using my information. I have been diligent about reporting all fraud that comes to my attention and have taken the necessary steps to secure and protect my accounts and credit record. As a part of all this, this impostor, somehow, continually gains access to my Verizon account (online and over the phone) and forwards my calls to another number (unrelated to me) in order to continue the charade and confirm to creditors, who call to investigate fraud charges, that they are in fact me. How is this possible? How are they able to get around security measures over and over again and forward my calls? (sorry just venting) My question is, is there anyway to prevent such things from happening such as blocking all call forwarding or blocking call forwarding to/from a specific phone number? I am afraid if I can't figure this out that I will be forced to cancel my Verizon account. Please help, thanks!    

Labels (1)
Re: ID theft & call forwarding
7e18n1

If you want to figure it out then start by closing your Verizon account! Afterward, retain counsel for professional assistance, because wise users in a public forum will not give you advice that can be used by criminals.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Oh my, i-am-the-real-me. We regret to learn that you are a victim of ID left. We know how important it is to protect the security of your account. We can definitely go over options we have available to avoid fraudulent activity. We would recommend changing your online My Verizon password and making sure you have a security question set up, http://vz.to/1zOrUPv. Anytime your My Verizon information is changed, you will receive a text message to advise. If you ever receive a message, and you did not request the change, this would be an indication that someone has accessed the account. Another secuirty measure is setting up a billing password. Without the billing password, no changes can be made to your account. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

DanielleR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
i-am-the-real-me

In response to your advice:

" We would recommend changing your online My Verizon password and making

sure you have a security question set up, http://vz.to/1zOrUPv. Anytime

your My Verizon information is changed, you will receive a text message to

advise. If you ever receive a message, and you did not request the change,

this would be an indication that someone has accessed the account. Another

security measure is setting up a billing password. Without the billing

password, no changes can be made to your account. Please let us know if we

can be of any further assistance."

I have done everything you said. The Verizon fraud team worked with me to

"try" to secure my account. My "My Verizon" online account was canceled

(unregistered) and I then re-registered several days later with a new

password, I added a security question, and my billing password, which was

already in place, was also changed. As far as receiving text messages when

changes are made, I did receive messages when the account was re-registered

and when the password was changed but I did NOT receive any text messages

or emails regarding my calls being forwarded. I was alerted of the problem

when a family member tried to call my number and got this other persons

voice mail message. Once I was aware I was able to log in and see the

forwarding number that this fraudulent person had somehow enabled. They

even began forwarding calls from the other wireless number on my account

(my husbands number). After all these changes were made I was alerted again

that this person continued to attempt to gain information. Apparently they

walked into a Verizon store to make changes and could not verify account

information, so, a secure Verizon text message was sent to my husbands

line stating "I was trying to get a hold of him to find out the numbers on

the account."

I called Verizon immediately to report the incident, never the less, calls

were somehow enabled to be forwarded. I feel my only option to stop this

would be to cancel my account.

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 6:18 AM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

i-am-the-real-me,

I can imagine how truly upsetting this whole situation can be. I certainly want you to be confident in the security of your account. For the time being, you are able to remove call forwarding altogether from your account, as it is a feature that is removable. Also, perhaps a phone number change may be in order so that this fraudster does not have your information to begin with. Of course any new valid credit reviews engaged by yourself should have the new phone number, since you will be able to furnish that information. Certainly, I would recommend looking into 3rd party resources to have your credit locked in general. Being a victim of this as well, the best course of action in my situation was to have my credit locked down completely. 
SandyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes