If Data Limit Reached Can still call/text?
PLyons60

If I have a hard data limit set on a line, can the phone still make and receive phone calls and send/receive texts? I can't find the answer in any of the Smart Family FAQs

0 Likes
Re: If Data Limit Reached Can still call/text?
boringusername
Master - Level 1

of course those things don't use data. Well they do but not for the purposes of what counts as "data"

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

@PLyons60 wrote:

If I have a hard data limit set on a line, can the phone still make and receive phone calls and send/receive texts? I can't find the answer in any of the Smart Family FAQs

Yes you can.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
boringusername, we want to help in any way we can! If you have a current Verizon plan, it will come with unlimited text and calls. We hope this information helps! - MichelleH_VZW
0 Likes
braddpetersen

I have found this is not the case. I have Verizon smart family and when my son reaches his data limit he in unable to send/receive texts. It's really frustrating.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

braddpetersen,

We certainly do not want to have your lines be limited beyond your preference. MMS messages, which can include images, or iMessages/Facebook messages (etc.), use data for their delivery. There should be nothing stopping an SMS text message from going from one device to another, even if a data limit has been reached. Has this been your experience? Does this information help?

ColinH_VZW

0 Likes
khoff1

I am having the same issue. try to limit data on kids phone. when the data limit is reached, nothing works on the phones, no internet, no text and no regular phone. Samsung S10 and Ip7. are we doing something wrong to achieve this. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

khoff1, as mentioned previously a data restriction would not prevent phone calls or standard text messages. Are you using the default calling app and texting app on the phone? Do you receive a specific error message when you attempt to call or text? Have you done any troubleshooting steps such as restart your device(s)?

0 Likes
hillrp

I have the same problem with an iPhone 11 and an SE. Once the Smart Family data limit is reached for the specific line, text messages fail when sent from those phones. 

0 Likes