LImit on Data usage is lame!
MrDuke-O

If you can limit data usage to 500MG then you can limit it to 0 also.  I want my son to NOT be able to access the web AT ALL! So why cant I make this happen for him?

I really don't want him to have web access at all but I do want him to have a touch-screen phone. Unfortunately there are no phones that are touch-screen and do not have Data plans - this is LAME!  So now I have to buy a more expensive phone and data plan so that he can use a touch-screen device and then you restrict me on setting limits on my own child's web usage.  This is not right!

Furthermore, you don't allow me to separate out what he can use and not use at certain times - its all or none.  Also LAME!  I don't really want him to be able to use his phone for web access or texting during the school day but I need him to be able tot call me if he needs to - NOPE - CANT DO THAT.

I don't want him to be able to use internet after 9pm but I don't mind if he calls or texts.  Especially if he is overnight at a friends house or our with his scout troop.  As it is I cannot separate what services he can use or not use and when - its either all or none.  STUPID!

Now if he is on an overnight I have to go on-line to change his permissions just while he's gone - then change them back when he is back.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: LImit on Data usage is lame!
rcschnoor
Legend

HERE is a touchscreen phone which DOES NOT need a data plan.Smiley Happy

0 Likes
MrDuke-O

Yep, You're right.  Either it wasn't available at the time I got the phone or they did not make me aware of its existence when I got his phone.  (I did tell them what I was wanting for him).  Look at the reviews though... only 2.1 out of 1200 users - Yikes!

Regardless, If they will allow me to throttle down his usage to 500Mb then they can let me let me take it to 0 also.... I don't know if some texts use data though, (i.e. texts that include a picture).

Also, I really don't like totally disabling his phone and text features during certain times just so that I can turn off his Data use during certain times.  I want him to be able to contact me when he needs to during the black out times, ( like during school), but he can't.  If I disable his data I'm also disabling his phone and text features too - its all or nothing.  The whole phone is disabled during those black-out times and that's just stupid.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, picture texts require a mobile data connection to send/receive (but they count against your text package, if you have one, not your data plan).  Turning off the data just means that data can't be used; texts without pictures and phone calls would still work.  Have you looked at Family Base?

Verizon FamilyBase™ FAQs | Verizon Wireless

0 Likes
Ksimmons95

I agree with your assessment.  I am a long-time Verizon family member of 5 users.  As time has gone, my kids have grown to use their phones constantly.  I have the 5GB per line usage and they still blow through it each month.  I have asked Verizon for help to no avail.  They offer the family plan for $5.00/month, but all that does is allow you to see usage or turn off the phone at odd hours.  Here is what I want Verizon to offer:

If I pay for 5GB per line, that's all the line gets.  Block data usage after the 5GB until the reset date at the billing cycle.  Warnings don't work.  If my family member can't Instagram or Snapchat for 8 days because they blew through the 5GB allotment, so be it.  I won't end up with overage charges and that makes me happy!  If Verizon can tell you when you are close to going over, and can charge you from that point forward, they ought to be able to cut you off at the same time.

C'mon Verizon.  Step up and get with the program.  I'm tired of paying overcharges and higher data plans!!  If I cancel my service you will be out a lot more than my overage charges are making you!!

Other than that, I think the service and coverage is wonderful.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Have you tried explaining to your kids to cut back on their usage?

0 Likes