Motorola Razr M - Family Locator Capable?
CottyGee
Enthusiast - Level 2

My son just activated his Motorola Razr M phone, and we can't get Family Locator to give "improved accuracy" locations.  Google Play does not pull up the VZ Family Locator app in Google Play from the Razr M.  I spoke with Verizon tech support level 2 for about an hour today, and they were unable to find the Razr M on a list of compatible/capable phones.

On a related note, the Family Locator page http://www.verizonwireless.com/familylocator does not have a link to a list of compatible phones!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Motorola Razr M - Family Locator Capable?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know how important of a safety factor Family Locator can be CottyGee! The feature is activated via your My Verizon account, as it is not a Google Play Store app. I have attached a helpful link below, which also includes equipment compatibility. I'm sorry the Motorola Razr M is not compatible. If the feature is important, you could change handsets within your account to a compatible device. You can also check your upgrade eligibility by dialing #UPG from your phone. http://tiny.cc/o6q3xw

Sincerely,

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
CottyGee
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the reply, JonathanK.

I am very familiar with Family Locator.  We have been using the feature for 3 years or so now.  The feature is activated on our account.  My reference to Google Play pertained to downloading the app to the locatee phone, which I understand is necessary to facilitate "improved accuracy" locations on the phone being located.

The link you attached is not helpful in terms of providing equipment compatibility!  The link DOES NOT contain information about Family Locator compatible phones!  The link you provided takes me to the "Family Locator FAQs".  Item 6. on the Family Locator FAQ page contains information about Family Locator compatible phones, and a link that supposedly will take the user to a list of Family Locator compatible phones.  However, the link provided DOES NOT contain information about Family Locator compatible/capable phones!  This is very frustrating!

What phones do my family and I need to use Family Locator?

With the latest version of Family Locator, you can locate any Web-capable mobile phone on your family’s account with no additional setup required.  However, you’ll get more detailed results with phones that are fully compatible with Family Locator. We’re adding more fully compatible phones all the time.

THERE IS NO INFORMATION ON THE FAQ PERTAINING TO A LIST OF COMPATIBLE PHONES.  There is only a link.  And the link leads to the main Family Locator marketing page, which also does not contain a list of compatible phones.

0 Likes
CottyGee
Enthusiast - Level 2

You know, it really STINKS that it's been NEARLY TWO MONTHS and VZW *STILL* doesn't have a list of Family Locator compatible phones.  VZW *STILL* has multiple pages that send you to http://www.verizonwireless.com/familylocator promising somewhere on that page to give a list of "fully compatible phones".

THERE IS NO LIST OF FAMILY LOCATOR FULLY COMPATIBLE PHONES ANYWHERE.  IT HAS BEEN THIS WAY FOR MONTHS.  This kind of crap is what infuriates people - when they tell you over and over and over that there's a problem and you never fix it.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

CotteGee have you Looked on the Web Version of the Playstore it might show more results and you might also Try doing a Google Search for this App or one that is Close to it..  b33

0 Likes
B33
Legend

CottyGee give this a Look Follow the Link http://goo.gl/vlRVQ

0 Likes
CottyGee
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the replies.

Yes, I have looked at the two versions of the app on Google Play using a P.C.  There is a list of a FEW compatible phones on one of the two apps, but both refer you to the page your link sent me to -  https://wbillpay.verizonwireless.com/vzw/nos/safeguards/SafeguardProductDetails.action?productName=f....  There IS no list of compatible phones anywhere on this page!

So for months, we have been trying to figure out if it is even possible to get Family Locator to give the "improved accuracy" (i.e., GPS) results on my son's Motorola Razr M phone.  Still don't have a definitive answer. 

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Personally, I use Find My Friends from the Play Store. It does basically the same thing as VZW Family Locator WITHOUT the monthly fee.

B33
Legend

Well Middle part down on the Page it says that Non Compatible phones can Utilize the service but there Might be some Features that might not work.. So with that I guess you could try it but with the Service Costing $9.99 is it worth the Trouble of knowing it will Function...  

0 Likes