Smart Family Companion App won't stay paired
Aprilgutierrez1966
Enthusiast - Level 1

For the past two weeks I have battled fruitlessly to get the Companion App on my son's Galaxy Note 8 to stay paired.  I've visited my local Verizon store and spent time with Verizon support over the phone.  I've installed, uninstalled, reinstalled the app on both my son's Galaxy Note 8 and my own Galaxy Note 9 multiple times.  With each attempt, the phones are successfully paired, but within an hour the pairing ends and I get a yellow message inside my Family App that says, "Content filters and web & app activity aren't working.  You can restore content filters and the ability to pause internet by reconnecting son's phone."

With each error message, we go through the steps of reconnecting, and within an hour to 90 minutes, the app is unpaired once again.

This is hugely annoying for multiple reasons: 1.  I've wasted several hours of my time.  2.  I'm accusing my son of interfering with the app since failure of the app doesn't make sense.  3.  Why am I paying for an app that is either completely unreliable, or can easily be switched off.

Please let me know if there is any reason to expect better from this app.  The internet is full of 1-star reviews for the Verizon Family app with countless numbers of dissasisfied customers making the same complaint that I have.

Re: Smart Family Companion App won't stay paired
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Aprilgutierrez1966, we understand your frustration in regard to the App. What other troubleshooting steps have you taken?

LauraL_VZW

0 Likes
LSUTiger1860
Enthusiast - Level 1

See, this is her point exactly ... she explained everything she did.   It is a repetitive issue.  Multiple people are having the same issues.   I was perfectly fine with Google Family Link and it is free.  @Aprilgutierrez1966, since you both have Android devices ... I'd cancel Verizon Family service and use the Google app.  I would as well, but with most younger people, my teenage daughters both wanted iPhones for Christmas.   Now I know possibly one reason why.

AZAV8TER
Enthusiast - Level 2

and the problems continue to this day......I have been having the same for years now.  My poor son accused all the time of interfering. This is just sad and likely illegal since we are paying for something that is reliable for about 5%.

KH-OrnEsh
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes