Smart Family Companion will not pair
marcoal111

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to pair my son's phone with my phone using the smart family companion and smart family parent app, respectively. Both phones are Google Pixels running Android 8.1.0. I have previously successfully paired my other son's phone.

To pair, the parent app sends a link via text to the child's phone. When I tap that link and install the companion app, it goes to a screen that simply says "Not active" in large type, with a message at the bottom ("Pair this phone from the Verizon Smart Family parent app for content filters and improved location accuracy.") Nothing else, no links or buttons. I also can't "back out" of this page to get to a home screen because it just closes the app instead.

Back on the parent app, it tells me that my son's phone isn't paired---would I like to resend the text? Sure. but, I get the same result no matter how many times I do it.

I've also changed the settings on my son's phone so that the companion app has admin privileges. Repeat texts with the same result.

HELP! I've read all the "directions" pages and followed all those instructions to a T, when possible.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Smart Family Companion will not pair
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We certainly want our Verizon Smart Family app to work the way that is should be on your child's phone. We want to help get you all set up. 

Does your child's phone have Data access (4G LTE) when trying to link the phone? Our data connection is needed during this process, so shutting off Wi-Fi is suggested. 

Also, have you tried uninstalling the app and selecting it from the Play Store to download instead of using the link from your phone? 

Steven_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
PAmountaingirl
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having just about the same issue. MULTIPLE times a day I get a text message stating that "content filters aren't working at the moment" and that the phones aren't paired. Well, they were paired, so why aren't they now? I have to keep sending the text to my son to fix it. (This was doing this before I even gave him his phone, so...)

I did customer chat and they assured me that what they had me do would remedy the issue. As soon as I was off the phone, in came the next message and sure as anything the website said the phones were unpaired.

This is driving me nuts! Why pay for the app if it isn't going to work consistently?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Pamountiangirl, we certainly don't want you to be having trouble using this feature, as it is supposed to give you peace of mind. I am here to help. To ensure we're on the same page, what are the make and models of the devices you attempting to use? What steps have you competed previously with chat?

Chakia_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
PAmountaingirl
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Samsung 9+ and he has a Motorola Droid Z Force. I've had consistent problems with the app and I thought I had it kind of fixed last night. Well, now today his Companion isn't working and the location services aren't working. When I open his Companion it just spins like it's stuck and never actually gets into the app. (It was doing this yesterday as well, so I uninstalled it from his phone and the Smart Family from my phone and started all over again.) I am certainly glad that this month is free because if I was paying for it I would definitely be more frustrated than what I already am.

0 Likes
Xingzoa

I am having the same issues. I bought new Pixel 3 XLs for myself and my daughter. I set up Smart Family and paired both. I constantly get TXTs saying her phone is not paired and/or content filters and/or location services disabled. I can see locations for her in my Smart Family app occasionally (many are for miles away from her true location). When I follow the directions and send the instructions TXT to her phone. I get her phone, click on the link to ENABLE and it starts up her Smart Family app but there are no options for enable of anything. I go in to Smart Family settings and there are no available settings showing. I get about 3-4 of these TXTs a day.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Xingzoa, ensuring our Smart Family app works properly is essential. I use the app every day to monitor my children and their locations. Please tell me, did the app function properly before you got the two new devices? Is the location service on in her device?

VanetrisC_VZW

0 Likes
Smart family app will not load
NrnsPostal

Cant get the app to load on either of our pixel 3xl's so we can not even link them to our kids pixel phones.....

0 Likes
chris_chris_chris
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had the exact some problem. I did the following things and it worked:

1- Turn off Wifi on both phones

2- Turn ON data on both phones (and drive to an area where I get service)

3- Go into "Accessibility" in the child setting and turn the Family app ON. 

It worked for us. Good Luck!  Smiley Very Happy

Re: Smart family app will not load
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are sorry to hear that you are having issues with the Smart Family app not working. To confirm, for how long have you been having this issue? Have you already tried to update the application to see if the issue continues? DavidR_VZW

0 Likes