Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15. Newphoria. Get it on us. Online Only. No trade-in req'd. Limited time offer. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 4,908 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions
Smart Family Limit on Trusted Numbers
Johnthomasc3
Enthusiast - Level 2

I need to increase my ability to add more trusted numbers above the 20 number limit!  I would be willing to pay for the ability to have more than the alloted 20.  Any help?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Smart Family Limit on Trusted Numbers
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I want to make sure I get you the information that you need. What is the make and model of your mother's device? Have you tried blocking the numbers through the device instead of using Smart Family?

Nichole_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Johnthomasc3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Nichole,

My mom has an Iphone 6S, but the reason

for the clamp down on her phone calls is that she was scammed out of $500,000 in a Jamaican sweepstakes ploy.  She was so involved that it required me taking control of everything.  Blocking numbers does not stop them as they spoof numbers and only the way I am doing it has totally shut the scammers out.  The downside is that with only 20 trusted numbers, I cannot add all the important people that need to call her and be called.  I know this was originally designed for kids but this can be a great application for monitoring elderly folks such as my 89 year old mother.  That being said,  this could be a great marketing tool for Verizon but give an option for more than 20 contacts for this use as way more than 20 are needed.

Thank you for your time.

John

Personal information removed as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Johnthomasc3, that is truly horrible. I cannot even begin to imagine how devastating this would be. As you clearly are simply trying to ensure her safety, I do want to try every possibly trick to assist. With her device being an iPhone, from the phone you may set up the Do Not Disturb so that callers that are not programmed into her contacts will be unable to reach her. Simply follow these steps:

Loren_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
MELMEN41

I have a developmentally delayed son who has a similar issue ($35,000 and from another source). I have tried controlling numbers through his device, but the problem is him calling numbers he should not call. I, too would pay to allow more safe contacts. Kajeet used to offer unlimited trusted contacts, but have discontinued service.

Also, he is unable to access voicemail. Do I need to add voicemail to his trusted contacts? How?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You can control his blocked contacts through your Verizon Smart Family account online in My Verizon, in the My Verizon app or the Verizon Smart Family app. 

1. To add a Blocked Contact:

1. Open the Verizon Smart Family app on the Parent device.
    2. Go to a child's Dashboard.
    3. Tap Contacts.
    4. Tap Blocked contacts.
    5. Tap Block a number.
    6. Enter the contact and tap Save.

You've successfully added a Blocked Contact.

Please refer to this page for more information: http://spr.ly/6587DIYPt.

0 Likes
Johnthomasc3
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have found a work around that helps.  Either I call my mom or she calls me.  I then add a call ( 3 way calling) using the number she wants to call.  I can stay on the line or hang up.   This way she can talk to anyone not on her trusted list and I do not have to juggle numbers on the list.  The downside is that people that try to call her that are acceptable contacts,  cannot reach her.  I have tried to give all of those people my number in the event they want to talk to her and then I set up a 3 way call.   I hope this will help someone in a similar situation.

0 Likes