Smart Family Pairing
eieiodin

I just bought my daughter's first phone.  I am trying to pair it with my phone through the smart family app on my phone and companion app on her phone.  However, when I try to send a text to my daughter's phone, it states "you were unable to receive a text message due to a device restriction or insufficient funds."  There is no apparent restriction that I can find that is causing this error message.

0 Likes
Re: Smart Family Pairing
eieiodin

To clarify, I can send text messages from my phone to hers.  It is the pairing text that will not successfully show up on her phone.

0 Likes
Kj_19

I am having the exact same problem. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

eieiodin, 

I want to make sure that we get your daughter's Smart Family service up and running! I'd like to dive deeper, and see how we can help resolve this. Please reply to my Direct Message, so we can assist with your concerns in more detail. 

MichelleH_VZW

0 Likes
etsoda7

I am having the exact same problem setting up a new phone: I am trying to pair it with my phone through the smart family app on my phone and companion app on her phone.  However, when I try to send a text to my daughter's phone, it states "you were unable to receive a text message due to a device restriction or insufficient funds."  There is no apparent restriction that I can find that is causing this error message. Can you send info on how to solve this problem?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Kj_19,

I'm definitely sorry to hear you're having trouble getting Smart Family working. That's a big deal and we want to make sure you can fully manage your service. I've sent you a private message. Please reply when possible so we can get more details and fully assist you. 

AndrewT_VZW

0 Likes
kenthejr

I'm having the exact same problem. Just got a replacement phone and tried pairing the app, but the activation text is getting blocked on my daughter's phone.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for checking in, etsoda7.

We see you've copied eieiodin's initial message. Have you also manually confirmed there are no message restrictions on your daughters line through Smart Family or otherwise? EricW_VZW

0 Likes
Ballisticn8
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same issue. Whenever I send the pairing text a message pops up on his device that says

"You were unable to receive a text message due to a device restriction or insufficient funds."

He is on a Just Kids line of service so I'm wondering since the plan only allows calls and messages from approved numbers if there is a conflict between the text to pair and his plan.

If anyone was able to get this resolved I'd appreciate some assistance. Been trying to figure this out on his phone the last 3 days, unsuccessfully.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

The SmartFamily is a great feature. If you do have the child line on the Just Kids plan, please verify that your number is listed as a trusted contact in the settings on the parent line. MatthewG_VZW

0 Likes