Re: So if a child turns off the VPN in their setting, verizon familybase is pointless?
JennFromTX
Enthusiast - Level 1

Our son has the iPhone 7 and he uses a VPN to bypass the Smart Family controls. Even when I use "pause internet" he can still do whatever he wants. It's frustrating because I get the emails notifying me of late night calls and texts but can't do a thing about it! Why am I paying for a service that is useless?

Re: So if a child turns off the VPN in their setting, verizon familybase is pointless?
Amy1616
Enthusiast - Level 1

What was the solution. I have the same problem 

shawrr

Our son was able to use the mobile hotspot with a VPN app on his laptop to bypass the Verison Family restrictions and get unrestricted access. I figured out a counter (for now...) by restricting his data limit down in the Smart Family App. You can change the limit any time on the app to increase data and allow access. If data is not limited, it doesn't matter if the phone internet is paused, they can access data through mobile hotspot.  

0 Likes
Enthusiast - Level 1

My son and daughter have the exact same phone and he is ALWAYS having to reconnect. He tells me he's not turning off. I know he's lying because I have seen other parents say the same thing about their child's vpn. Why am I paying for a service that he can turn off! It's really frustrating to me! 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Controlling the flow of information is important when you are a parent, I get it. What is the make/model of your son's device? JoeyM_VZW

0 Likes