The Just Kids Plan Does Not Work and Is Dangerous
jthomas1433
Enthusiast - Level 1

I added the Just Kids line for my child with the understanding that this is a safer option for children to be able to communicate with family and friends from a list that was selected by the parents; however, this is not completely the case. I had a very select list of individuals that could contact my child and that my child could contact. There is no reason why someone who was not on the list should have been able to make any type of contact with my child. My child was able to contact someone after exchanging contact information through a game online. This person a complete stranger tried to arrange to meet my child. I am so glad that I caught this whole interaction in time before this could have turned out really bad. I did file a police report. However, the ball was dropped with Verizon. You were supposed to only allow the people on the list contact and that did not happen. Yes I have the companion app installed on the other phone, followed all the steps and trouble shooted per your suggestions. After several calls to verizon and no one seems to know or understand how something like this could happen, I was able to at least find where the hiccup is. After testing this out on my own... after creating my list I noticed that if a person who was not on the list had an android phone, calls and text would not go through. We could not receive or send calls or text messages; however, if the phone was an iPhone which we have, the calls and text will go through whether they are on the list or not. This is incredibly dangerous and the Just Kids option is false advertisement as it does not fulfill everything that it says it is going fulfill. This is something that needs to either just be cancelled all together or your developers need to correct this. I've read all of the forums where the techs give the parents the run around instead of just actually resolving the issue. Please resolve this issue before someones child is hurt because you all can't figure out how to fix the bugs in your app.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: The Just Kids Plan Does Not Work and Is Dangerous
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are truly sorry to hear that this happened with your child. We do understand how important it is to keep them safe and that is ultimately our goal. To clarify, iMessages is not part of your text messaging services which is what is managed through the Just Kids services. This messaging feature, iMessage, is part of Apple's services and uses your Wi-Fi or data to send and receive messages. Because this is considered a 3rd party service it is not blocked through the Just Kids plan. You can turn off iMessages through the settings of the device. Again, we are terribly sorry to hear that this happened to your child. If you have any additional questions, please let us know.

*Ellisandra

0 Likes
jthomas1433
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi Ellisandra,

That would explain how the text messages were able to get through. I did not know that iMessages was considered a third party app that along with FaceTime. Just Kids services is presented with a blanket statement, leaving a parent to believe that all calls and text could be blocked if not on the list no matter the provider.

My follow up questions is, if  I turn off iMessages through the setting  of the device, and I am listed as an approved contact in my child's phone, will I be able to still receive text messages from them? Or will the only be able to call me?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

As long as the as send as SMS is enabled, standard SMS texts will function as expected with the rules, along with the calls. Any questions about this?

*Bee

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@jthomas1433 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201304

Apple has some great controls, which would allow you to block use of apps like iMessage and FaceTime.  As well as Facebook, Snapchat etc.

0 Likes