USAGE CONTROL
MICDEF4
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a 12 year old that has had a phone with Verizon since he was 9. I am looking to shut off his phone during late hours of the evening as well as school hours during the week.

He is able to go on the Internet via WIFI even if I restrict his phone from Data.  PLEASE FIX THIS.    He has a Samsung Smartphone and he is not interested in the Droid Phone that is 3G.

VERIZON PLEASE PLEASE MAKE USAGE CONTROLS FOR SMARTPHONES. I was in your store the other day and everything in the store was a smartphone. If your going to be pushing everyone including kids into smart phones please give the parents time controls!!!!! So we can make sure they sleep at night and we can ground them with out losing our line of away-from-home communication.

Labels (1)
Re: USAGE CONTROL
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you utilizing all of the Smart Family feature options to control his access to the Verizon Wireless network?

As for the Wi-Fi access, this is something only you can control with the tools in your home router. You can setup the MAC address filtering to allow when his phone and computer can access the Wi-Fi network at your home.

If he isn't following your usage rules, then be the parent and remove the phone from him as part of a lesson of responsibility.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
MRWALLEYEMAN1
Enthusiast - Level 3

MICDEF4 since its a Samsung smartphone, then it has the Android operating system. You can look into the Google Family link app in the google play store, or in the iOS app store.

I don't know if the Google Family Link app is still under Beta or not. This is the route I took with my son on his Moto Zplay 2 phone. I could control pretty everything my son did on his phone. Like what apps he was able to download, to when and where he could use the phone. It also has location services. I was able to do all this from my iPhone. Hope this helps.

MRWALLEYEMAN1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here is a link to the google Family Link Google Family Link - Home

Also following Anns advice above on router settings will also help. I didn't have to go this route fortunately,  My son had no choice but to follow mine and my wife directions or we would take the phone away from him. He understood the fact that we as parents pay for the phone and the bill, and that it is a privilege for him to have and use it. The other thing is when I or my wife tell him we want to check his phone he has no choice but to hand it over right away.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MICDEF4, with children, managing the lines on your account is definitely a priority and you've come to the right place for help. You had previously stated that you are restricting your son's phone, can you confirm what service you are currently using to accomplish this? Based on the information that you've shared, I am confident that you would benefit from our Smart Family option: https://www.verizonwireless.com/solutions-and-services/verizon-smart-family/ Let us know if this helps.

Lorenzo_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Staying on top of device details is certainly important. We are here to help! As Ann154 noted, the Wi-Fi activity is not through our network so you would want to review the router detail or contact your internet service provider. 

As for the controls on our network, have you already reviewed our control options with Verizon Smart Family? If not, you can learn more about this at this link. http://spr.ly/6580DAF3C

Jaime_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes