Why is there a data limit?
tg9800

I am confused about the data limit, and I do not understand how the amount of data is measured.

This makes it very confusing and inconvenient each month, as I have to set and change limits for myself and my teenage daughters.

We have unlimited calls and texts.  Why is there not unlimited access to the internet?  With Verizon wifi there are not limits on data.

I don't understand what we are paying for, how it is measured, and why it costs more for the person using 20 GB of data v the person who uses 10.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why is there a data limit?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

tg9800, It's important to us that you understand your data plan and usage. Let's review a few tools to ensure you're set up for success with your new plan. While we don't have unlimited data; we have a great tool that will be helpful in knowing which funtions on your wireless devices use data: www.vzw.com/datacalculator. The More Everything plan provides Unlimited Calls; Unlmited Text and a shared data allowance between all lines on your account http://spr.ly/6589B8ncW. I have teenagers on my account, as well so I do want to mention our Family Base option to help control the data usage for your teenager lines and much more: http://spr.ly/6580B8nco. Please let us know if you have further questions. Thank you.

TanishaS_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Data is where the money is in the wireless industry.  You'll notice how every carrier has unlimited minutes and texts, and every one of them charges for data.  Data costs MUCH more to send and receive for carriers than does talk and text.  Operational costs being a large factor.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

tg9800 wrote:

why it costs more for the person using 20 GB of data v the person who uses 10.

Not only that, but why does it cost more for the person using 20 gallons of gas v the person who uses 10???

Snn5
Legend

I was going to use the "car analogy" as well.  People talk about speed.  "Why pay more for speed when it's the same distance from me to there whether it's 3G or LTE?"  Well, you can go 5 miles at 25MPH or 5 miles at 100MPH.  But, it's gonna use ~4 times the amount of gas to go that speed.  Gas costs money.  More gas more money.  Networks have to have the spectrum and the equipment to make that LTE happen.  That costs money.  But, that gets complicated I suppose.

0 Likes