Why won't Family Base allow me to set a data limit below 500 MB?
RONKUP4

I have 4 lines in my family plan for my wife and 3 kids. Oldest just left for a year overseas so I want to turn her data allocation down as close to zero as possible and let another child use her quota. When I try to set the limit to 0.01 GB (sadly can't set it to zero), I get a prompt that the amount I enter needs to be at least 500 MB. How do I work around this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Family Base won't allow me to set a data limit below 500 MB
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Family Base is a wonderful way to manage usage. I use it myself and enjoys its benefits. The lowest usage threshold is 500mb. If you wish for more information, please use this link: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/verizon-familybase-faqs/.BobbyN_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

What do you mean by "workaround"? That is a limitation of the service. I suppose you could have her turn off her cellular data on her phone as a workaround.

0 Likes
RONKUP4

Sorry I guess "work around" was the wrong thing to so. If this is a limitation of the service it seems to be a relatively recently change, because about a year ago or so I was able to set the limit on my youngest child's line to 0.01 GB with no problems.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Family Base is a wonderful way to manage usage. I use it myself and enjoys its benefits. The lowest usage threshold is 500mb. If you wish for more information, please use this link: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/verizon-familybase-faqs/.BobbyN_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
RONKUP4

Is this 500mb threshold a relatively recent change? I was able to set it much lower about a year ago.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I remember seeing complaints about this limit from this plan's inception.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

It's relatively recently interesting that you want data limits imposed.  Give the kid a basic phone and block data. problem solved. Kids do NOT need smartphones and if you wanna dicta what they can or can't do as a kid I would pay for my own service.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

RONKUP4,

I can understand your concern for the change in the threshold. I can’t say exactly when it had changed, but 500MB is the lowest. Were you having any issues with setting this in the FamilyBase feature?

AliciaS_VZW

0 Likes