Will Verizon improve its data tracking capability?
hklehman

Does anyone know if Verizon is planning to improve the tracking for data usage? I'd like to be able to monitor our teenager's data use.  At a minimum, I want to know when she is using data - is she staying up until 1 or 2 am on a school night to chat with friends?  I thought I would get this ability when I turned on Family Base.  Unfortunately, since most of her friends also have iPhones, the messages are sent as data and not as text, so I have no ability to even monitor when she it messaging.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Monitoring Teen Usage
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

hklehman,

We can understand the need to monitor your teens phone and data usage. You stated that you did Family Base. That feature is a great feature. You can restrict the times that data usage is available for your teens phone. You can also set times that they can use the data portion of their phone. If you have wifi in your home your teen will still be able to send the messages via iMessage. iMessage is an apple based feature. As long as their is a data connection it can be sent. We on Verizon's end can restrict the data and time features. But if your child has access to wifi the iMessage will still work.

RobinD_VZW
VZWSupport

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

hklehman,

We can understand the need to monitor your teens phone and data usage. You stated that you did Family Base. That feature is a great feature. You can restrict the times that data usage is available for your teens phone. You can also set times that they can use the data portion of their phone. If you have wifi in your home your teen will still be able to send the messages via iMessage. iMessage is an apple based feature. As long as their is a data connection it can be sent. We on Verizon's end can restrict the data and time features. But if your child has access to wifi the iMessage will still work.

RobinD_VZW
VZWSupport

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

hklehman

Thanks Robin.

We're using Family Base - in fact, that's why we switched to Verizon. It

helps, in many ways, but there are some shortcomings:

(1) Data and text shut down time limits are tied together. There is no way

to have different time limits for them.

(2) We can not see (with any real detail) when data is used - only the

total usage. I've checked the "data use" reports, but they do not appear

to be accurate.

(3) It would be nice to have the option of monitoring data connections (web

sites, etc).

(4) A "vacation" mode, with relaxed time limits would be great

(5) Daily data or online time restrictions would be nice too.

- hklehman

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for your feedback hklehman. I can understand the value of the additional features you are looking for. I'm sorry we don't have current plans for additional functionality. Here's more information on Family Base for your reference to allow you to take advantage of the current functionality. http://vz.to/1cw23hM, http://vz.to/1hc6q9G

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes