iPhone-Family Base
jm6823
Enthusiast - Level 2

Being new to the Apple products and Family Base plan I should have been given more information.  I got my daughter an iPhone and added the Family Base plan.  The plan is great except the fact I do not feel I have control when I put time restrictions and block certain persons and she is still able to send text because they are iMessages and not regular text.  So who's has the upper hand here, not the parent.  I am very frustrated because I feel the plan is failing me. When I added the Family base to my plan I specifically told the Verizon person what i was wanting to do and not once was I told they would still be able to communicate during restricted times with iMessages.  Had I know I probably would not have gotten and iPhone. Why am I paying extra per month for this??

Labels (1)
Re: iPhone-Family Base
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hellojm6823! I completely understand your concerns. As a parent myself with a teenager, I realize the importance of setting boundaries and restrictions for them. What you are trying to do is admirable. Using iMessages, instead of regular text messages would be the loop hole to the Family Base program http://spr.ly/6584B1H8Q unfortanately. It is a great program and will give you the advantage most of the time when managing your families data usage & account.

One option you have to keep your child off of iMessage during unauthorized times is to turn off iMessages all together. Then they would only be able to use regular text messages, which falls into the Family Base controls.

Another great option that the iPhone has is restrictions. Click here to learn more about them: http://spr.ly/6585B1H8v Thanks!

KristieQ_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

You can disable I messages and lock her from making any changes I believe. They are in the parental controls section. Let me check when I get home. I have to pull out the iPhone sitting in the box.

jm6823
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your response. The only problem with cutting imessages

completely off is that is her only way of connecting to iPod friends. Can

I set up two codes on the iPhone so that she can not make changes to the

settings I put on the iPhone? Such as when I block someone.

Jamie Moore

On Jul 31, 2015 10:28 PM, "Verizon Wireless Customer Support" <

0 Likes
jm6823
Enthusiast - Level 2

I need to know how to Lock her out of changing my controls on the iPhone.

Only problem with cutting imessages completely off is this is the only way

she can communicate with her iPod friends. Does iPhone have time

restrictions?? Thanks for your response.

Jamie Moore

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

GO to settings/General/Restrictions

to block iMessages, block Internet from Family Base and Internet for her device over wifi from your router for desired times. 

OR just take phone away at times. 

0 Likes
jm6823
Enthusiast - Level 2

Blocking the Internet does not block imessages. That's the problem.

Imessages are not considered the same as texting when it comes to the

Family Base. I don't want to take the phone away.

Jamie Moore

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

you are incorrect.

Blocking the Internet, both cellular and wifi, blocks iMessages and all Internet traffic. 

You need to shut down Internet on familybase, and block on your home wifi router Internet for her phone and theniMessages won't work.  iMessages travel the Internet. 

Tidbits
Legend

Both are correct and incorrect.

iMessages goes over data channels unless it  can't connect to Apple servers. At that point it sends them as SMS if the phone is setup that way.

So if you setup data and text from the same times it should stop them from happening.

I totally forgot to look at my iPhone sincey last response. I will be sure to check tonight about how to set up parental controls.

jm6823
Enthusiast - Level 2

thank you-how to set up parental control so she can not change it would be

very helpful

0 Likes