my son can not connect to school wifi with family base vpn on
STEMIC73

Hello,

I just installed family base on my sons iphone.  It nows shows VPN at the top.  He can no longer connect to the school wifi to work in class.  How can we fix it?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: my son can not connect to school wifi with family base vpn on
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

STEMIC73,

We want to ensure your son can connect to his school's network as needed. I welcome the opportunity to assist. FamilyBase wouldn't have anything to do with VPN connectivity. A VPN simply allows the phone user to keep the IP address assigned from their Internet Service provider (ISP) hidden. This way their data activity is private so their ISP is unable to track the websites visited. In order to disable that setting, I would need to know the type of phone he has. Can you provide me with the device make and model please?

EbonyR_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
STEMIC73

Hello,

The phone was an iphone7.

I canceled FamilyBase because it could not access the school wifi, but more-so because it did not have as many categories to block as we were looking for.  I was looking for a replacement for NetNanny that requires a special browser, and as such on an iphone, it could not open up links from emails (and the browser is pretty poor).  However it has better block protection than FamilyBase.  These are all the categories that NetNanny blocks.  If FamilyBase could block all these, it would be better because it would be before it gets to the phone and presumably would block it from Safari or other web browsers on the iphone6,7 +.

Regards,

Mike

Inline image

0 Likes
thezogs
Enthusiast - Level 1

My son is having the same problems!  I just installed Family Base and paired his phone, which added that VPN to his phone, and now he has big connection issues at school and everywhere!  I spent a bunch of time on the phone with Verizon tech today about it, only to find out that I can’t do anything from the mobile app anyway—all changes and controls have to be set from the website in order to work. So now I want this app off my phone and I want the VPN removed from my son’s phone! Family Base absolutely has everything to do with this VPN. If you look at it under the phone settings, it will say Family Base VPN. How do I unpair his phone from mine and get the VPN off his phone?  Simply deleting the app from my phone does nothing. This app is severely flawe and needs rework!!

JOHNNAGRRL
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree. We can’t connect my sons phone to our own WiFi at home while the VPN is on. I have to manually disconnect it on his phone after every time I check his usage using the FamilyBase app on my phone. i just got a text from Verizon stating that his phone hasn’t “communicated” with FamilyBase in over a day and that I need to reconnect it. I re-paired his phone, and low and behold, the VPN icon was back. So I had to go back and disconnect it in his settings on his phone. So annoying.

0 Likes
MASON-150

We were able to correct it by going into settings, general, vpn. I shut off the family base vpn, then I could shut off the vpn on the iPhone. Today my daughter downloaded a snap chat vpn, now she can use snapchat while on the schools wifi. She has been burning up our data. Since we got this vpn squared away, she can use the schools wifi.

Good luck!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry to hear of the difficulties you experienced with Family Base, Thezogs. We appreciate your feedback regarding the app and how it works. As mentioned by our other community members, VPNs can be disabled through the settings on the phone itself. To give you specific instructions how, please share the make and model of your son's phone, please.

KarolineD_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
REBBRA95
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same issues. The VPN has totally [removed] up my son’s ability to use his phone! Is there a fix for this or do I just need to cancel it and delete it?

Profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We do not want you to have these issues with family base, Rebbra95. We do want to make sure your service is working as it should.  As mentioned by various community members, your VPN can be disabled through the settings on the phone itself. To find where your specific settings are please provide your phone type.

JasperM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Zilskeem12
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same issue. When my daughter tried to turn off the vpn on her iPhone 7+ it turns itself back on. How can I help her to turn this off so she can connect to the school’s WiFi?

Thank you.