How can I access my WD My Cloud on my Smart Hub network?
Imtamsyn

Although the Smart Hub appears to have a LAN port, as does my WD My Cloud; the My Cloud is not detected by the Smart Hub when I plug it in. I need to have access to the files on the My Cloud, which were formerly available to my home network when I had a traditional internet provider. I have done quite a bit of research, but not found a way to do this. I even contacted Tech Coach without any solutions. There appear to be settings that can be changed on the Smart Hub admin page, but I don't want to mess anything up. Any thoughts? This 100% wireless setup doesn't work if it means loosing access to 2TB of important stored files.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How can I access my WD My Cloud on my Smart Hub network?
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

The SmartHub is a home router although it is somewhat limited in the customization options it provides compared to a typical dedicated home router such as the one you may have previously rented from your ISP.  The Ethernet port on the back of the Smart Hub appears to be a normal Ethernet port and should allow you to add switches or additional access points for an expanded home network.

More info on using the Ethernet port here (step 8):

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-211405/

The other port on the back of the smarthub is for Home security.  I don't really understand what that means or why such a feature would need its own dedicated Etherner Port.  Lets ignore that one for now.

What you will want to do next is make sure the external hard drive is network connected to the SmartHub or not.  This may require some tweaking from the HD.  If the HD has a USB port you may want to try plugging it in directly to a PC to confirm it has pulled the new network info.  The setup guide on the SmartHub also suggests rebooting the SmartHub each time you plug something into its Ethernet port.  From there you need a way to confirm if the HD has an IP address or not.  The HD may need to go back through a network configuration or reset to pull in fresh connection info.  Once you get it to connect to the SmartHubs network then any other devices on the network connected over wireless should have access to the HD too.

> This 100% wireless setup doesn't work if it means loosing access to 2TB of important stored files.

The smart hub has an Ethernet port.  If you want Ethernet cabled access then consider adding in a unmanaged switch or a 2nd home router with its operating mode tuned down to an Access Point.  Then you should be able to extend the network of the SmartHub however you like.

0 Likes
Imtamsyn

I have reset the network adapter settings on my computer, reset the Smart

Hub, and reset the My Cloud. When I plug the My Cloud into the Ethernet

port of the Smart Hub the light on the My Cloud just continuously flashes

indicating there is no connection to the internet. Previously, the info

stored on the My Cloud was accessible to all computers on my network (now I

only have one), as well as accessible via the internet from any location. I

thought I could simply plug it into the back of my computer, but the port

is not configured for that use, and I am not tech savvy enough to change

the settings. I purchased the Smart Hub solely to use for my internet...no

Home Phone. Is it possible that service to the ports are associated with

WHP and that is why they do not work?

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 8:33 AM, John_Getzke <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
Imtamsyn

I have reset the network adapter settings on my computer, reset the Smart

Hub, and reset the My Cloud. When I plug the My Cloud into the back of the

Smart Hub the light on the My Cloud just continuously flashes indicating

there is no connection to the internet. Previously, the info stored on the

My Cloud was accessible to all computers on my network (now I only have

one), as well as accessible via the internet from any location.

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 8:33 AM, John_Getzke <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> When I plug the My Cloud into the Ethernet port of the Smart Hub the light on the My Cloud just continuously flashes indicating there is no connection to the internet.

Then there may still be something wrong with the network configuration of the MyCloud device.  You will need to find a way to look up and confirm what the current configuration of this device is somehow.  Once you know that info then cross reference it against the setup of the SmartHub.  MyCloud should have a user guide or support area that can walk you through this process.

> I thought I could simply plug it into the back of my computer, but the port is not configured for that use, and I am not tech savvy enough to change the settings.

A PC cannot directly connect to another network device unless it is configured to function as a switch or router first.  Chances are your PC is not configured this way.  Instead you must first connect network devices to a piece of network hardware that is performing this role for you.  Network connections do not function the way that USB devices function, they need something to setup and manage the network first which is normally the role provided by the home router or a switch.

> I purchased the Smart Hub solely to use for my internet...no Home Phone. Is it possible that service to the ports are associated with WHP and that is why they do not work?

Perhaps the Smarthub is not the best network device for your environment then.  Verizon has better devices that operate more like the way you would expect them to.  For example the VZW 4G LTE Router or a USB Modem and compatible home router combo.  If its not too late you could check with Verizon and see if they would accept a return or trade-in for one of these products instead.

0 Likes
Imtamsyn

Currently the Smart Hub is the only Verizon Router available.

0 Likes
Tdbinns
Enthusiast - Level 1

Smarthub is only a push device!

After 2 hours on the phone with support trying to understand how to configure DMZ, Port Forwarding and VPN, I got the answer.   No those features only work if you buy a static IP address for $500.   So the unit is a bait and switch, its has all the features in the Verizon store and the sales person can talk to, but they leave out the fact that only if you spend an additional $500 is the features work. 

Also it is very limiting in the Z-Wave devices that it supports.  They say you can controller you house but it has none of the light switches or other nice devices.    I have asked if they are going to increase support for other devices, but it seems to be radio silence form them.  I have asked if there will be upgrades, and the same radio silence.     After I have had it a bit I have to wonder if its worth the price.

Maybe this community will get some worth while information.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Tdbinns, ensuring that we're able to provide assistance and support for our customer's devices are always our top priorities. I personally apologize for the inconvenience you've experienced while seeking information about the Verizon Smarthub. Hearing that you were on the phone with our Technical Support Team for a considerable amount of time, greatly concerns us. The Smarthub is truly a wonderful device to have.

I also noted your reference to the Smarthub being a push device, resulting in customers having to spend an additional $500 to purchase a static IP address. It's very important that we set the right expectations for customers when purchasing any device and service from us. This holds true for the Smarthub as well.

We provide additional information about the Smarthub on our website at: http://vz.to/2ylaLqg. This website link also includes a very informative "FAQ link (Frequently Asked Questions) for our customers to review. We're always here to assist our customers anytime.

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes