Jetpack 6620L having erratic connection issues
IRETAY2
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have had a jetpack 6620L for about 10 months. It has been having a consistent connection issue. I have a laptop and a desktop - both running Windows 7. Both can connect to the jetpack individually and both at the same time. However - if I put either computer to sleep and then come back later - can be even 5-10 minutes later - the jetpack won't reconnect. I need to physically move the jetpack so that it is right on top of whichever computer I am trying to connect and then it will connect. At most, the jetpack is about 30 feet from one or the other computer - never more - and it works fine sometimes, until it won't.

The jetpack is always on during the day - the computers are used frequently, but not constantly - but both only sleep - not shut down. I have the jetpack set never to sleep or shut off - but the screen does darken after 5 minutes - and than seems to be somehow related to when it won't reconnect.

It is very frustrating to be using one computer and then go to use the other and find that the jetpack won't connect unless i carry the jetpack between computers so that it is right on top of the one I need to be using. Since this jetpack is able to connect 10 devices at once, I would think it could handle 2 computers that are only 30 feet from each other.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Jetpack 6620L having erratic connection issues
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> Can you tell me a Verizon device that would better meet my needs? I need something that can get 10-12 (possibly more) GB each month and allow 2 computers and occasionally a Kindle and cell phones to access the WiFi.

Sounds like you need a 4G LTE Router or a USB Modem + Router combo.  Verizon recently discontinued their 4G LTE router and replaced it with the smart hub device.  Seems like VZW is only carrying the U620L USB modem at the moment too.

Here's a link to the Smart hub:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/home-office-solutions/verizon-smarthub/

3rd party sites have more info for USB Modem + Router combos (cradlepoint):

https://3gstore.com/products/3_3g4g_soho_routers.html

Its also possible to rework your home network so that the Jetpack is more of a traditional modem and link it up to a normal home router.  The home router would need to have a feature that allows it to connect as a wireless bridge for it to work.  If so then you rig up your home router as an Access Point to the Jetpack and let all your home devices connect to the home router instead.

I'm not too savvy on the consumer plans and options that are available.  My understanding is that anything with unlimited is going to be throttled down to 3G speeds after 10 GB.  Pending on the VZW device you decide to pursue you may have options for different data plans from there.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> The jetpack is always on during the day

Jetpacks are not the ideal device for a 24x7 connectivity scenario.  Verizon has better devices suited for this task such as a USB+modem combo, 4G LTE home router or even LTE Internet Installed.  Jetpacks are best used as a temporary internet access device.  Boot them up, surf a while and shut it down until you need it again.  The longer you leave a Jetpack powered on the quicker it starts to break down performance wise and the more likely you are to have issues with it.

> However - if I put either computer to sleep and then come back later - can be even 5-10 minutes later - the jetpack won't reconnect.

Sleep mode is a tricky one. You can configure your personal devices to maintain network connections while sleeping if you like which may yield some positive impact.  However, by default sleep mode puts your machine into a hibernate state which the network adapters do not survive in.  When the machine is woken up it will try to pick up where it left off which can cause issues for Jetpacks.

> It is very frustrating to be using one computer and then go to use the other and find that the jetpack won't connect unless i carry the jetpack between computers so that it is right on top of the one I need to be using.

This suggests a distance or interference issue in your environment.  Jetpacks are a low powered home router with a limited effective range.  Your personal devices may not like the signal they are receiving from the Jetpack its current default configuration.  When troubleshooting its important to place the Jetpack directly next to the personal device you are concerned about to minimize distance and interference.

> Since this jetpack is able to connect 10 devices at once, I would think it could handle 2 computers that are only 30 feet from each other.

True, under normal situations this should not be a problem.  However treating the Jetpack like a 24x7 device, operating devices at 30 or so feet, unconfirmed interference in the area, there are lots of factors playing against you in this scenario that would be resolved by placing a better device in place of the Jetpack.

Try looking through the logs on the Jetpack for more clues.  There should be some kind of diagnostics you can export to show what is going on with its active connections over time.  Cross reference this info with whatever logs are available on your personal machines.

0 Likes
IRETAY2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi John and thanks so much for the very complete answer. I do need to apologize for not replying sooner - I had lost track of this question and only stumbled upon it and your reply again this morning!

You have given me a lot to consider and options to try to correct or at least minimize this problem. I think I'll begin with placement to see if there is a place where both computers can access it without too much interference. This is a house - and the computers are located about 3 rooms from each other - and there don't seem to be any obstacles to the signal except walls.

As to your suggestions for other devices - I had looked at the 4G home router - but it looked to me like that would need to be on a plan where the usage would be lowered after reaching 10GB. I'll need to do some more research on alternatives, but I do need something that can be used for more than 10 GB on occasion, and have variable usage that I can adjust as I see my needs each month - which the Jetpack has.

I'm also wondering if it is my actual Jetpack device. I had an older one that was 3G and I never had this issue. Maybe the Jetpack I have is more prone to this.

In any case thanks so much for all of your suggestions and help. I really appreciate it and again, I am sorry that I didn't see your reply and answer sooner.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> This is a house - and the computers are located about 3 rooms from each other - and there don't seem to be any obstacles to the signal except walls.

The distance between the PCs and the Jetpack is a concern.  Jetpacks are not a long range WiFi device and normally optimal use is restricted to the current room or perhaps one room over.  Due to the increased mobility the manufactuers have to scale back the WiFi radius of these devices, but that normally isn't a problem for a mobile traveler that these devices are best suited for.  A typical home router may not have any problems with covering 3 rooms in this environment which may be throwing off your expectations a little.

When WiFi performance testing it is best to keep the Jetpack right next to the PC you are testing from.  This rules out/greatly reduces any issues with WiFi distance or interference from competing signals.  Once you know the optimal configuration works you can start adding in distance and obstructions a little at a time to find out the optimal positioning of everything.

0 Likes
IRETAY2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi John!

Thanks for the quick reply - I am keeping track of this discussion now!

It is a bit disappointing to hear that the Jetpack really can't operate efficiently in the relatively short space I am using it.My old Jetpack was fine and I could keep it anywhere within the 3 room area and both computers could access it without issue.

And even this current Jetpack was great when I first got it last summer. It always connected quickly to either computer, no matter where it was in the house, and it was quite fast. Now it has these connection issues and the speed is nowhere near what it was. Verizon's map shows good 4G in this area, and nothing has changed as far as I know.

Right now I am testing it mid-way between the two computers to see if I can find a good placement. There is only 1 wall now between them and perhaps that will work better.

Can you tell me a Verizon device that would better meet my needs? I need something that can get 10-12 (possibly more) GB each month and allow 2 computers and occasionally a Kindle and cell phones to access the WiFi. Right now I pay about $80/month on average for the Jetpack. Is there something better that would be in that price range that might work that you can suggest?

After I see how this new placement works for the Jetpack, I am planning to call Verizon service and also see what they suggest. As far as I can tell, the Jetpack is up to date on its updates. Both of my computers run Win 7.

Unfortunately where we live, there is really no alternative to a wireless type of internet connection. We have tried satellite and it is not good. There is no cable here - though Spectrum says there are coming "someday" - LOL! No FIOS, or anything else either.

Again, thanks so much for the information. Hopefully I can get to the bottom of this to improve the performance, or I guess I'll just need to learn to live with it at least till my contract with Verizon is up on this Jetpack.

Irene

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> Can you tell me a Verizon device that would better meet my needs? I need something that can get 10-12 (possibly more) GB each month and allow 2 computers and occasionally a Kindle and cell phones to access the WiFi.

Sounds like you need a 4G LTE Router or a USB Modem + Router combo.  Verizon recently discontinued their 4G LTE router and replaced it with the smart hub device.  Seems like VZW is only carrying the U620L USB modem at the moment too.

Here's a link to the Smart hub:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/home-office-solutions/verizon-smarthub/

3rd party sites have more info for USB Modem + Router combos (cradlepoint):

https://3gstore.com/products/3_3g4g_soho_routers.html

Its also possible to rework your home network so that the Jetpack is more of a traditional modem and link it up to a normal home router.  The home router would need to have a feature that allows it to connect as a wireless bridge for it to work.  If so then you rig up your home router as an Access Point to the Jetpack and let all your home devices connect to the home router instead.

I'm not too savvy on the consumer plans and options that are available.  My understanding is that anything with unlimited is going to be throttled down to 3G speeds after 10 GB.  Pending on the VZW device you decide to pursue you may have options for different data plans from there.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are tiered data only plans for the Jetpack and USB modem devices available for more 4G LTE high speed hotspot data.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
IRETAY2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi John!

Thanks so much for all of this information. I have dealt with the 3G store in the past, so I think I'll email them with questions. Seems that the first thing is probably to check with Verizon support to be sure there isn't an issue with the Jetpack itself, and then work toward reworking my network. This has all been very helpful and I do appreciate all of the help and information!

Thanks again!

Irene

0 Likes
IRETAY2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi Ann,

Thanks for the information. My Jetpack is on a tiered plan, which I can adjust as needed. There doesn't seem to be a lower speed after 10GB as with data on their unlimited plans. I can't get into any type of plan that does that - since I never know if I will need more speed after their 10GB limit.

Thanks!!

Irene

0 Likes