Re: 2021 Severe Service Degradation
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi, corykent. We recognize your time is valuable and we appreciate your efforts in reaching out to us about service in your area.  We are determined to provide the service you deserve. There are no alerts for your area. Have there been any recent changes in your local area? Are other users on your account similarly affected in regard to service? 

-Lorenzo

0 Likes
jabbiati

I have also experienced the degradation of service in Southern Maine. Originally, I noticed this last spring/summer (2021) and thought a tower had been shut off for service. Very recently, I was told that Verizon had failed to renew it's tower lease in Southern Maine resulting in many towers that Verizon had been using were no longer in service for them (us).

I find this disturbing when combined with the service agreement and the attitude of Verizon. They publish coverage maps (I know that they are bogus) to entice new customers. That is a kind of promise. It's hard to believe that corporate lawyers are able to create a situation where Verizon can promise coverage, hold customers to the high prices, and actively remove coverage and worsen the product. Doesn't an "agreement" go both ways? Did I really sign an agreement saying that I will continue paying excessive prices and they can do whatever they want?

0 Likes
guitargain
Enthusiast - Level 1

I live in the county that Olustee, Fl is in.  I was a previous customer of AT&T for almost 20 years.  AT&T service in my area had degraded to almost unusable.  I had many friends that always raved about Verizon being way better than AT&T for service.  So my wife and I switched to Verizon in October 2021.  At first is appeared the service was maybe just a little better than AT&T.  For the last several months it has degraded as well.  I am maybe getting one bar where before it was 3 or 4.  I live in Northern Baker County, and work around Macclenny, Glen St. Mary, Sanderson, and Olustee. I am not complaining about service at my home because none of the carriers work where I live.  So far I am not all that pleased with the service.  Someone locally said they called Verizon and was told it was because of the 5G upgrades but not sure if that's true or not.

0 Likes
guitargain
Enthusiast - Level 1

I should have also said the problem is more with the data than voice.  I can have 3 or 4 bars and still cannot stream Apple Music, or pandora, or get a usable speed for internet use.  There are less bars in areas where there used to be 3 or 4 and now it's maybe 1 or 2.  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

As a valued customer, your service concerns are always our top priority.  I'd be disappointed too if I were experiencing service issues and we'd like to help in any way we can. Thank you for providing such detailed information.

Let's work together to address and resolve your service concerns. Can you tell us more about the service issues you're experiencing? (e.g., calls, text, web browsing, etc.) We'd like to help. We've noted your reference to southern Maine. Can you tell us more about the specific are you're referring to?  Thanks!

-Robert C.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

guitargain, having reliable service, is key.  Also, from what you are stating it sounds like there may be some terrain restrictions.( ex: body of water, living by mountains, recent construction in area, very wooded area, etc.  These factors lead to low signal on a device which can then create the environment for low signal, frequent new service s, fluctuating signal, slow speeds, slow signal, no signal etc. Any of those around your area? 

-Nicci

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Got it. Your area and your plan can have a lot to do with it too. This is why the question above was so important in addition to what is the name of your price plan? Is it the Start Unlimited? 

-Nicci

0 Likes
dhodges45
Enthusiast - Level 2

Where, in the contiguous United States, is there a place without any of those “obstructions”? You’ve just described nature.

I get it. A low-level customer service agent at Verizon doesn’t even have the capability of “helping” customers, other than checking a computer for known outages. And those higher up the chain simply refuse to help. It’s easy when all he/she has to say is that the answers a customer seeks are “proprietary information.” 

Since this is a thread I started over a year ago, I see all these responses coming into my inbox. All of these frustrated customers, all over the country, need actual help. They need their once-reliable service to be restored. Platitudes are insulting. 

Meanwhile, I still have 5 devices on extremely expensive Verizon plans; because even a weak, slow signal is better than nothing at all.

It’s still an utter mystery to me why the adequate cellular signal we enjoyed for many years prior to January 2021 suddenly disappeared. Poof!  Verizon giveth, and Verizon taketh away. 😞

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

dhodges45,

We want you to have great service, that's a big deal. You're absolutely right that most places have some of those things. It is a question of how many of them and in what combination though. Your signal strength is never based on one thing. It's a combination of hundreds of factors. Everything from foliage, to how many buildings are in the area, to how far you are from the tower, how many people are on that tower, other wireless signals in the area, and many more. There's rarely one thing to point to and say that one thing is the issue. It's often a variety of things.

For example, sometimes the main issue is that a lot more people started using the local tower. Or even a lot more people started using a nearby tower, which has pushed some of the traffic that used to be on that tower toward the tower you usually use. Maybe that started 6 months ago so it doesn't jump out as the likely issue, but it was winter and there was no foliage on the trees so the signal still worked pretty well. But now spring comes along and the foliage comes back in and now the signal isn't strong enough to get past it. The foliage is part of the issue, but it didn't necessarily change from past years. More people using nearby towers did though and now the signal isn't strong enough to get past that foliage. Neither of those things is the whole problem, but in combination they cause a bigger one. 

That's just an example, and it is actually simpler than how this often works. Often there are far more than two factors working together to cause an issue. Our goal is to solve issues when they happen, and often they can be solved. Other times though the ultimate solution is going to be building more towers, which doesn't happen overnight and sometimes can take quite a long time depending on local rules and regulations. Our goal is for the resolution to an issue to be service working better and often it is, but sometimes the resolution is being honest with you about the current state of the signal and setting the right expectations. At that point as a customer you can make the decision that makes the most sense for you. If you respond to us in PM I can get some details to check on your specific situation and see if I can find anything else that may help though. We're always glad to do all we can. 

-Andrew

0 Likes
GARANDLINDA

Same problem. It’s Verizon’s problem past on to the ones that provides them sizable profits 😩😩

0 Likes