36 month only financing
Desertrat099
Enthusiast - Level 1

I went to buy a new phone on a $700 promo yesterday and found the only option to be a 36 month term. 24 and 30 month options are gone. This is irritating because Verizon is locking people into three year contracts (yes, they’re contacts) and spinning it as “you can have a lower device payment”. I liked the 24 month terms (with a promo) because it felt like I was getting something back from Verizon in the form of a subsidy which was a perk from the most expensive provider and was easily able to upgrade every two years. Now if you decide you want to upgrade after two years, you still owe them money. I understand you can pay the device off early and am just referring to promos. It’s irritating and another thing Verizon is throwing at customers that will be advertised as better for the customer when it’s just predatory and greedy. 

Re: 36 month only financing
Desertrat099
Enthusiast - Level 1

After looking around some more, Verizon also killed off the ability to upgrade early once your device is 50% paid off. You now have to pay it completely off before you are able to upgrade. 

To clarify my issue with the 36 month only contract that is now standard - Verizon is essentially lowering their subsidy by 33% while locking in customers for longer. I’d be ok with it if the promos went up 33% and it was just a retention move, but it didn’t, it’s purely a bottom line move. 

wz77
Enthusiast - Level 1

its the same here on an $800 credit for a new 13 pro max? verizon is cocky and overpriced. i will NEVER do 36 months and after being with verizon 25 years i think its time to split.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It breaks our heart to hear you feel this way, we understand your concern regarding the length of time for your Device Payment Agreement, we are happy to discuss this matter with you, because we don't want to lose you as a family member. 

*Lisa

0 Likes
MarkRR
Enthusiast - Level 1

I set up an appointment yesterday to get a new iPhone at Verizon, I guess that is the new normal.  I was told I have to move to a new unlimited plan along with my 3 other family members if I get the new iPhone 13 (currently we share 15G data on a plan that Verizon recommended).  We have all bought our phones outright so we don't all have 36-month contracts that do not have the same start/end date.  Anyway, my sales lady said this is because of the new 5G, but she could not really explain why.  Hmmm, okay fine, I said I will do that, so I tried to order a new phone (I have a iPhone 6 currently) and I want the iPhone 13.  She says I need to take the $350 discount along with the new unlimited plan and that the payments will run 36 months.  I said, no, I have saved the money and will purchase it outright today.  She said she cannot sell me a phone that way and I will have to go to and Apple store and buy a phone.  What?  Now I have gone to 2 Verizon stores and a Best Buy and no one could sell me a iPhone 13.  I have also been a Verizon customer for a very long time.  Is what this salesperson told me true?  It sure is not easy to get a person to talk to, I needed to make an appointment to even talk to her, then I could not buy a new phone.  Very frustrating.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good morning, MarkRR. This is strange. I want you to get the phone the way you want it and be able to buy it at full price so that you have an excellent experience as that is what you want to do.

Please visit this link https://www.verizon.com/smartphones/apple-iphone-13/ and click the arrow next to "Storage and price" then select full retail price and process your purchase. 

-Antonio

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

So don’t buy from carriers.  Apple, Samsung and Google all have 24 month finance offers you can pay off early next do trade ins.  
They are removing the incentive to buy with the carrier, no I’m fine with it.  Got a big discount on Prime day off a new phone.

0 Likes
MarkRR
Enthusiast - Level 1

Do I have to change me plan to a 5G unlimited with the iPhone 13?  Or can we all stay on current plan?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for reaching out to the Social Media team, MarkRR. It depends on your current plan, and if it supports 5G coverage as well. Please, send us a Private Note for more information.

*Haley

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@MarkRR 

You are not required to change your plan in order to get a 5G phone. You won’t have 5G service, but in many areas that’s more of a problem than it is a benefit. Most of the deals that are advertised do require a current unlimited plan so you will be paying for your phones.

This is another reason you might want to consider using Apple directly. Apple will give you a lump sum value for a traded in device off the top and financing is two years not three. And Apple still has an upgrade every year option for those who prefer to get the newest device every 12 months.

0 Likes