Re: 5 lines, 4 years, and about to leave...Thanks Verizon! -Signed: Typical unimportant $300/mo. client
Not applicable

Bottom line, Verizon has the best product (network) in the industry and that's what is most important to most customers.

0 Likes
Re: 5 lines, 4 years, and about to leave...Thanks Verizon! -Signed: Typical unimportant $300/mo. client
dbblt11
Enthusiast - Level 1

Maybe it was a faulty assumption to use recent investor confidence as an indicator of future performance.  However, if competitors keep expanding the 4G coverage, they WILL pull clients from VZW.  The broad coverage is the only reason I'm still here.  Eventually the others will catch up.

I might never leave if VZW would allow upgrades for reasonable clients who have been loyal WITHOUT forcing changes to current plans.

0 Likes
anonymouslurker
Contributor - Level 1

dbblt11 wrote:

If they have such amazing bandwidth, why is it a problem for the handful of "grandfathered" clients to remain on their unlimited plan?  The most I have used in the last 12 months, in a single month, on all of my lines combined is 10GB. Why should customers like myself, who've been here for several years, have to worry about  data overages?  MOST of us don't abuse the wireless data...the Netflix/constant use argument is just silly.

If you only use 10 GB get a 10 GB plan then. I've been with Verizon 3 year longer than you I don't get unlimited data. In fact I've never had it. Why should YOU be entitled to it? Especially when I'm not and I'm a longer term customer?

As far as the bandwidth it's simple.

Verizon has 20 MHz it currently uses for LTE 10 for uplink 10 for downlink. 10 MHz means each cell tower sector( a tower has 3 sectors ) can handle a MAX of 150 Mbps for downlink( only 38 Mbps for uplink ). That's spread out among ALL users. Each sector might have as many as 400 users on at a time. Netflix can use up to 5 Mbps. 5/150 is 30. So 30 Netflix users can use up all the bandwidth. What about the other 370 customers? They pay for service too. Why are YOU more entitled to service than they are?

0 Likes
Not applicable

When and if their competitors have a network equal to that of Verizon, the basis of competition will change.  No doubt.

0 Likes
dbblt11
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have NEVER watched Netflix on my phone...nor would I.  If people are overusing the data and using 50GB as if it were a home network, then absolutely, cut their plans...I use my device for business and the 10GB plan will increase my monthly bill by about $42 as a whole.  Again, why should I be penalized, and have to worry about overages, because some irresponsible jack-*** or their tween wants to sit around on their fat butts being unproductive and watching videos?

>> profanity removed <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
dbblt11
Enthusiast - Level 1

P.S. - I am more entitled to have unlimited data because I paid the higher price for 4 years when you weren't willing to do so.

0 Likes
anonymouslurker
Contributor - Level 1

dbblt11 wrote:

I have NEVER watched Netflix on my phone...nor would I.  If people are overusing the data and using 50GB as if it were a home network, then absolutely, cut their plans...I use my device for business and the 10GB plan will increase my monthly bill by about $42 as a whole.  Again, why should I be penalized, and have to worry about overages, because some irresponsible jack-*** or their tween wants to sit around on their fat butts being unproductive and watching videos?

Verizon can't cut their plans as they promised unlimited data. Not "unlimited until 50 GB". Not to mention the FCC expressly FORBIDS Verizon from throttling data over the 700 MHz spectrum. As far as why you should be paying more because that's the way it is. Who promised you unlimited data for $30 a month forever anyway? No one.

0 Likes
anonymouslurker
Contributor - Level 1

dbblt11 wrote:

P.S. - I am more entitled to have unlimited data because I paid the higher price for 4 years when you weren't willing to do so.

That doesn't mean squat. How much more money did I give to Verizon the 3 years I had them and you didn't?

0 Likes
Not applicable

Verizon has a finite amount of network capacity to sell.  They can sell it on unlimited data plans for $30 per month or they can sell it on Share Everything data plans of 1GB for $50, 2GB for $60, 4GB for $70, 6GB for $80, etc.  As lurker will remind us, these prices include more than data, but for our purposes here, they make the point.  It is up to Verizon corporate management to decide how best to run their company to maximize their long term profits, but so far, they seem to be doing a pretty good job.  There is just no reason they should continue to offer unlimited data (although I wish they would).

And, nobody is entitled to anything based on past behavior.  Everyone received value in return for their monthly payments.  Nobody was paying for future consideration.  All that matters is from this point forward.

0 Likes
anonymouslurker
Contributor - Level 1

Horses 547 wrote:

Verizon has a finite amount of network capacity to sell.  They can sell it on unlimited data plans for $30 per month or they can sell it on Share Everything data plans of 1GB for $50, 2GB for $60, 4GB for $70, 6GB for $80, etc.  As lurker will remind us, these prices include more than data, but for our purposes here, they make the point. 

I would only mention that as to correct people that think that money ONLY covers data. I know most regulars here including yourself know better. People see 1 GB for $50 when on old plans $50 gets you 5 GB but don't realize that $50 ONLY includes data. People assume since the cost of the device for most went from $10 a month to $40 that is where the calls and texting come in. Verizon could drop the deice fee to $30 for smartphones. That would encourage more to switch to Share Everything. Also having basic phones and smartphone the same cost would be more likely to get people to switch from basic phones to smartphones.

Also even using the logic that Share Everything data pricing only applies to data, on old pricing four 2 GB data plans is $120. On Share Everything 8 GB is $90. Even taken to the next levels. Four 5 GB data plans is $200. 20 GB on Share Everything is $150. Four 10 GB data plans is $320. 40 GB on Share Everything is $300

0 Likes