A Wireless Upgrade gone wrong...Again
HeyJC
Enthusiast - Level 1

Let me start by saying, I've been a customer of Verizon Wireless for almost 10-years. I came from another carrier, where the Customer Service was sub par and the service coverage was not adequate for me.

My upgrade issue started in October of 2016. I was looking at all of my mobile carrier options and after a previous phone upgrade issue, 12-18 months prior,  I seriously considered jumping to another carrier. My last upgrade took them six months to rectify. That is another story, but deals with the same Warehouse in Texas that has caused this latest Verizon Wireless fiasco!

Admittedly, I was reluctant to upgrade my phone.

Using the Verizon Wireless Trade Up program, a customer orders his or her new phone, when received, You send the old phone, no Sim Card, no cables in the box provided. It even includes a label to return the old phone; however, Verizon Wireless does not insure the labels or the items. I packed the box with the trade in iPhone, labeled it, and off it goes. Typically, Verizon Wireless uses the United States Postal Service (USPS) for all return phones, and when I spoke with the USPS, found that Verizon does NOT insure their returns. Moreover, as a Consumer, I cannot insure that label provided to me.

In December 2015, I received a box from Verizon, with my old iPhone 6, trade up I had returned. The screen shattered. The reason was given on the shipment ticket, "the item was received with the broken screen. The phone shipped to and now returned to me from the same Texas Warehouse I had an issue 18 months prior and referenced above.  I called Verizon Customer Service, and they noted that I could do nothing until the equipment charged was added to my a future bill.

When I called and spoke to CS again on January 6, 2015, after the equipment charge for the shattered phone was added, I was told that the Warehouse took pictures of the box, and the phone and the screen were shattered in the box on delivery.  They then explained there was nothing that could be done about it; however, they'd meet me halfway and cover half of the cost of the charge.   They also mentioned  I could purchase the Insurance coverage retroactively and pay the deductible, and they'll cover the rest. Far less equitable in my favor.  I asked to speak with a Manager, and it was noted he would return my call.   The Manager Chris ( 203-294-2459) was less than helpful. He noted to me the best they could do was to meet me halfway and cover half of the damaged phone.

I asked to speak to someone higher up the chain, and he refused, noting to me he spoke with his manager and above and because the box was not crushed, there was nothing to be done.  He also noted I could take the USPS to small claims court to recoup my loss. Chris noted he was the retention department as well, and the entire management staff would stand behind his position of not rectifying this issue.

To this date, Verizon Wireless has been unwilling to assist in correcting this problem. With the other service carriers offering lower prices and better deals, I believe it is time to switch. I've posted this same detail on other social media sites and have decided to take my case to other agencies that assist with poor customer service and business practices.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: A Wireless Upgrade gone wrong...Again
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

HeyJC

Getting a new phone should always be a fun experience. It saddens me to hear of the concerns you experienced. We want to ensure this gets resolved for you. Please reply back to the private message I will be sending to you.

ChristopherM_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!