A representative told me this is possible - switching phones w/o losing unlimited
lisafox123

I called Verizon and asked them if I could use an upgrade on one of our lines, one that doesn't have unlimited data, and is a "dumbphone" - they said that I can upgrade it by choosing a phone on the site. My line with unlimited data is not eligible for an upgrade currently, but the dumbphone line is. They said to then call in to Verizon (they gave me their extension, where they work, and first name) when the phone arrives, and said we will activate the phone on the line without unlimited data, then switch the phone to another line on our plan which has unlimited data and return the dumbphone to the number it was before upgrading.

My concerns are: is this really possible? I do not want to lose the unlimited data. The rep told me it is easy and he would do it personally, and not to worry about losing my data.

My other question is - wouldn't activating the smartphone on the dumbphone line require a data plan, even if we only have it working for a few minutes on the dumbphone's line before switching the number to the unlimited data line? My concern is that I would be forced to pay for a data plan for 2 years on a line that doesn't require it, or have to pay the early termination fee, since the goal is to switch that new smartphone onto the line that has unlimited data currently, and put the old dumbphone back.

So far, every person at Verizon has said this is doable and not to worry about losing my unlimited. They say this plan will work; however, I am still scared to try it.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: A representative told me this is possible - switching phones w/o losing unlimited
lisafox123

I guess it doesn't let me edit my original post, I wanted to make this more clear.

Line A: dumbphone, no data plan, has an upgrade available

Line B: smartphone, unlimited data, no upgrade available

The plan the phones are on is Nationwide Talk Share 700.

The rep tells me that I can go ahead and do this: 

1. On the website, order the phone I want with Line A's upgrade (the dumbphone).

2. Once I get it, call Verizon and activate the new smartphone on Line A. (my question is, won't I get saddled with paying for a data plan?)

3. Now, switch Line A's phone to Line B.

4. Reactivate the dumbphone to Line A.

I see many things in this forum saying it can't be done, and many people arguing you can. Even the reps at Verizon say yes, it will work.  However, I am reluctant to try it due to everything I have read here.

0 Likes
Re: A representative told me this is possible - switching phones w/o losing unlimited
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Flip 3 and 4 plus add removing the data plan from line A in the process. You might have to get a new SIM card to activate the new phone on line B.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
lisafox123

Do you know why I might have to get a new sim card for the final step? So I have it now as this:

1. Order upgrade phone on the website with the dumbphone, line A, the one without a data plan.

2. Activate the new phone to line A once it arrives.

3. Then put the dumbphone on line A? (and remove the data plan).

4. Activate the smartphone on line B, the line with the unlimited data plan.

Thank you so much...

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@Ann154,

Thanks for taking the time to help out our fellow community members. I appreciate it.

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@lisafox123,

Let's get this cleared up so you can upgrade your line and start enjoying the new phone.

The reason you may need a new SIM card to activate the phone on the line you want is that the new phone may have a SIM card not compatible with the current phone active on the line with the smartphone. If the old and new phone use the same size SIM card then you will not need to get a new SIM card. What smartphone phone do you have on line B, and what smartphone are you looking to upgrade to on line A? I can check if the SIM cards are compatible.

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes