ALLSET Prepaid Plans
rheiges
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon advertises that we can bring our own 3G or 4G phone (assuming one not under contract, of course) to the plan.  I have a Motorola Droid Bionic that is now mine.  It is a 3G/4G/LTE Smart Phone which I tried to put on an ALLSET Prepaid Plan.  After two hours in a Verizon store I was told the phone was "not eligible". I would like to know why not, and also I would like to know if any VZW customer reading this has had success in bringing their own device to the plan.  If so, what phone did you register?  Frankly, I suspect the BYOP to be a "bait and switch" routine, certainly not by any individual CS Rep but reflecting on the policies of the company as a whole.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: ALLSET Prepaid Plans
Not applicable

Sorry not bait and switch. Sorry to debunk your conspiracy theory. Plenty of people have BYOP to prepaid.

0 Likes
rheiges
Enthusiast - Level 3

What have you 'debunked"?  I asked to hear from those who have actually done it, not from a resident critic trying to get "Community Points".  We are all entitled to our opinions and they will be taken as just that, but please back up your seemingly never ending support of VZW --- if you can.  I suspect you do not have a clue about undocumented ALLSET restrictions and likely have never tried to subscribe to it.   I was seeking information, not looking for ad hominem arguments from anyone.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Which company was the phone originally with?

0 Likes
rheiges
Enthusiast - Level 3

The Droid Bionic is a VZW phone.  As a matter of fact, yesterday when the CS rep could not put it on the new ALLSET "3G/4G/LTE" plan he changed the SIM and put it on a More Anything plan at more than twice the cost.  It is 100% Verizon capable, CDMA, with WCDMA/GSM as well.    That is why I have determined thiis could be a bait and switch issue.  Come in for $45 service that has flexible data which can be added (I vary from month to month) and leave the store with a $170 set-GB plan where any unused data disappears at the end of the month.        

0 Likes
ithoughtthiswassuppos

On August 13th I was able to successfully port my phone number from straight talk to verizon.  I have an iphone 5 that I bought at wal-mart in march of 2013 for straight talk.  On verizon's web page there is a page regarding bring your own device and I input the device's meid number and it says it will work with either prepaid or postpaid.  After porting my number, I am able to make and receive calls and texts and can use the internet.  However, since my iphone 5 is not a "verizon phone", I am unable to register my phone number on myverizon.  Also, I can't call any verizon customer service numbers.  I was able to set up autopay by calling customer service from my landline home phone (after numerous futile attempts to have someone help me to be able to get registered.)  The only way I could get through is to dial 800-922-0204 and instead of punching in my phone number I had to punch 0 about 5 times to get connected to a rep and then ask to be transferred to prepaid.  It sure seems like the problem is with the phone number itself rather than the device.  This morning I found out that even though I purchased a $20 bridge data 4 days ago to add to my account now they are unable to actually add it and therefore will refund it.  I think Verizon ought to address these problems on their website on the bring your own device page.  I absolutely agree with rheiges about the bait and switch since several of the customer service and tech people I have talked to in the last month have asked why I don't just buy a verizon phone.  Also, when I went to the local verizon store to port my phone from straight talk, the sales person made me buy a $72 case for the phone so I wouldn't have to be charged $45 for activation.  Later I read on the verizon web page that there is no cost for activation.  Verizon may think they have the best network but their customer service and technical support certainly are not very good.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Do you have the address for the store you went to? It certainly sounds like a 3rd party reseller based on the activation being waived if you purchased a case. Third party resellers have diss fervent policies than Verizon Corporate Stores,have and it may be correct at that store you,need to pay an activatin fee when you bring a phone.

Also, it sounda like the conversion to a VZW account was not done correctly by the store you went to. I would try shutting down Apple Messaging and see if that helps at all.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Ithoughtthiswassupposedtobeamerica'sbestnetwork,

Oh my! We are so happy to have join the Verizon Wireless family! Are you Verizon Wireless services postpaid or prepaid?
What error message do you receive when you attempt to register your device?

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
ithoughtthiswassuppos

We apologize for any inconvenience.
We experienced an error while processing your request.
Please try again later.

My bigger concern now is this: I was able to set up auto pay (with the help of a rep that I had to call with a landline phone.)  However, both times that the payments were made I received text messages that told me that the payment had been made, but that I now had 500 mg of data.  My whole reason for setting up auto pay was that it was my understanding that I would "double the data" and receive an extra 500 mg

0 Likes
HarleyMark

I bought a new Exceed 2 at BB and they botched the activation. Customer support for the prepaid is non-existent and you are on your own for the most part. I had to return the phone and have my number activated on a new phone. But from what I understand if you have a Verizon CDMA  phone you should be able to activate it on the  prepaid as long as the original Verizon contract was for filled.

0 Likes