Another Verizon/UPS Lost Trade In
timthemoose
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been a Verizon customer since 2003 (beginning as Alltel, which Verizon acquired in 2008).

In March 2022, I ordered two new iPhones to replace our existing iPhones. As part of a Verizon promotion, we planned to trade in our existing iPhones for two $700 credits ($1,400 total). I mailed each iPhone in its own Verizon-supplied return envelope and label on March 29. According to UPS, on March 30, the trade-ins “Arrived at Facility” in Mesquite, TX. In the few weeks after that, I noticed that the trade-ins had not moved from Mesquite, so I called Verizon to investigate. A customer service representative from Verizon instructed me to contact UPS and submit a claim because Verizon could not issue my $1,400 credits until the phones were received by Verizon. Even though I wasn’t technically the “shipper” (as, according to UPS, the shipper is the person/company that issues the return label; i.e., Verizon), I followed Verizon’s instructions and opened up two claims with UPS on April 22.

On May 11, I followed up with UPS and received the following response via email:

Our tracking records show that a shipment investigation was processed and in progress for this shipment, which started since 04/22/22. The investigation can take up to eight business days, but our records also show that the investigation was finalized and a resolution has been reached already. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide claim information to a receiver or third party. All claims will be finalized with the shipper. You will need to please contact your shipper for further assistance and information on this claim resolution. Your shipper is the person or company that paid UPS directly to create the return labels to ship these packages.

Since UPS told me that a resolution had been reached with the shipper (Verizon) and that I needed to contact them for more information, that same day (May 11), I contacted Verizon and told them this information. They issued two tickets to investigate the problem and told me they would contact me once they had more information.

On May 17, I followed up via Verizon chat and was told:

“as I see the our dedicated team already collaborated with the courier for the lost returned to be shipped ion our warehouse - what Im trying to say is that the return is on progress now.” To clarify, I responded: “So to be clear, I will be receiving a credit for both trade-ins that were lost, and that I do not need to do anything else for that to happen. Is that correct?” The Verizon Agent responded: ‘That is correct. To extend my assistance to you, I will make sure to make an extensive note regarding this so we both have a reference and when you contact our team, you don't have to start from scratch…I also submitted a follow up request on this and to set expectation you will received an email notification regarding on the status - the work around will be 7-10 days - if you havent heard from us after 7 days or on 5/31 - you can contact us back directly at 800-416-8894.” After this exchange, the Verizon Agent tried to get me to enroll in a more expensive service plan.

Having heard nothing by May 31, on June 6, I contacted Verizon again and was told: “Upon checking here, the case for the lost shipment is still on going. No worries, once your new bill generates, that's the time the case would be closed and you will receive your credit for your trade in phones.” This response suggested that the $1,400 credit would appear on my next bill.

When the credits did not appear on my next bill, I followed up again on July 2 with Verizon via chat. This exchange lasted several hours, and I was passed between at least two different Verizon Agents. When I provided them with the original ticket numbers that were issued, I was told it was “already resolve and the reason why you did not receive an update is because the ticket is not correct. I will create a proper ticket for this one.” Keep in mind that each time I have had to call or chat with Verizon, I have had to re-explain the entire situation. During this chat, the Agent(s) repeatedly told me I needed to upgrade my plan in order to receive the trade-in credits, and after at least 90 minutes, they told me “Just make sure you trade in the eligible device to get $700 trade in credit,” indicating that the Agent had no idea of what my original problem was.

Having wasted so much time and at wit’s end, I immediately called Device Trade-in Program customer support at (800) 416–8894 and was connected with Kimberly. I explained the entire situation once again. She was very sympathetic, took down all my information, and provided me with two new ticket numbers (one for each lost phone). She told me she would follow up the following week with more information, and I was finally feeling confident that my problem would be resolved.

On July 6, I received a text message from 900080004000 that said: “This is Kimberly from Verizon. still working on a resolution about your trade ins. Thank you for your patience.”

I never heard back from Kimberly again.

Today, August 1, I called Verizon again to check on the status of my tickets. On the first call, I was connected with an Agent, told him my entire story, and gave him my ticket numbers. Because he had to “reset [his] system,” he asked for a callback number and disconnected our call. After several hours, it became apparent he was not going to call back. I called Verizon back, was connected with a different representative, and told her my entire story. She checked the ticket numbers and informed me that they had been closed because UPS still had the claims listed as “in progress,” and therefore, the investigation was still opened. She said the only way to resolve the issue was to speak with UPS, and she suggested we call UPS to check on the status of the claims I submitted with them. She implied that we would speak to them together (as a three-way call). She put me on hold, and after several minutes, I was connected to UPS’s customer service automated system; the Verizon representative was no longer on the call. (A side note: I navigated through the UPS automated system and was automatically disconnected once none of the options related “claim investigations” worked.) This is also a good time to reiterate the fact that UPS has already made clear to me several times that they will deal only with Verizon with respect to these claims given that Verizon is the “shipper” who purchased the return labels.

After the latest issue, I went back to my UPS account to check on the status of the claims. The current status of one of my claims is “Paid” and says “The search for your package is complete. We have been unable to locate your package” and “A claim has been issued to the sender for your package. Please contact the sender for more information.”

In summary:

1. After I promptly shipped them at UPS as instructed, two trade-in phones valued at $1,400 total were lost by UPS.
  2. Even though it was not my responsibility (because I was a third-party), I submitted two claims with UPS.
  3. Verizon has been compensated for at least one of those claims (again, claims I submitted even though UPS has repeatedly said these claims should be submitted by Verizon). I, however, have yet to receive either of the $700 credits I am owed for returning the phones as instructed.
  4. Verizon has provided absolutely no support in a case that occurred through no fault of my own and in which I have done nothing wrong. I have spent hours, over a course of several months, on the phone and on chat explaining (and re-explaining) the situation. I have had numerous tickets created, none of which have created a solution (and every single time, I have had to follow up with Verizon). The only thing Verizon has reliably done is tried to sell me a more expensive plan.

I know I am not alone here, as a brief search on the forum shows so many other customers with strikingly similar troubles. I have written this post with the hope that someone from Verizon will actually be able to help me without me having to relive this experience by explaining it once more. If nothing else, I want to document my frustrating experience in the likely event it will be used as evidence in the inevitable class-action complaint against Verizon.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Another Verizon/UPS Lost Trade In
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@timthemoose we apologize for the experience you’ve had resolving an issue should never take this long. Please allow us the opportunity to provide you with the help you deserve. To get started please send us a PM.>Janet

View solution in original post

0 Likes
timthemoose
Enthusiast - Level 2
0 Likes
SickofPoorService2022
Enthusiast - Level 3

https://www.verizon.com/about/our-company/leader/contact/916673

Try elevating to the Verizon Executive Relations team at the above link.

You can also file by email a request for dispute resolution for arbitration. The dispute will go to the Verizon Executive Relations Team. I think sending to both links is the fastest way to get a person assigned to your case and you can avoid customer service.

https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/account/manage-account/security/arbitration-mediation

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@timthemoose we apologize for the experience you’ve had resolving an issue should never take this long. Please allow us the opportunity to provide you with the help you deserve. To get started please send us a PM.>Janet

0 Likes
timthemoose
Enthusiast - Level 2

Quick update: I did complete the form for the Verizon Executive Relations team, and I was contacted immediately with a representative over email. Someone from the team left a voicemail the following day asking me to call back or email. I emailed back, and then he called back and left another voicemail earlier this week. I called back yesterday and today, leaving voicemails both days.

However, because I have been growing increasingly impatient, I also DMed @vzw_customer_support, where I got connected with Arya. After some back and forth, she was able to 100% resolve my issue. Honestly, after all of this trouble, it just took some luck to get someone on the line who was empathetic and took the time to read through the entirety of my situation.

In the end, the solution was to document absolutely everything and be persistent. And ask for Arya.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are happy to hear you received the resolution you needed! Remember, we are only a click away for all of your wireless needs!

0 Likes
Dawnswanson71
Enthusiast - Level 1

Did you ever get a resolution to this?   I am in the EXACT SAME POSITION.   Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi, Dawnswanson71. We appreciate your efforts with the trade-in and we are here to help. Do you have a tracking number or Submission ID available for your trade-in? Please share additional details. 

-Lorenzo

0 Likes
Kimberly2022

Did you ever get a resolution?  I’m having the exact same issue - except UpS refused to open a claim even when Verizon and I were on the call with them together.  They indicated Verizon had to open the claim as they are the sender.  To the Verizon Agent’s credit she opened tickets to escalate…but seeing your story I’m not hopeful as I’m starting to think this is a Verizon pattern today behavior to cheat people out of trade in promotions….since clearly there is a breakdown in process and they are doing nothing to fix it.

0 Likes
Shaws21
Enthusiast - Level 1

Exact same thing happened to us. They lost our trade in phone and we never got the credit about 6 months ago..I was and am still so upset!