Another Verizon billing victim...,
jrsettles

So in October of 2012 me and my wife took a trip to the Dominican Republic for a planned vacation.  At the advice of friends who had already been there, they recommended "world" coverage by Verizon for about $25 a device. The plans are billed on a 30 day cycle and can be cancelled at anytime at the end of the cycle. The Verizon rep who help set up the plan said since we only wanted them on for the one cycle, he would set up the plan to end at the end of our billing cycle. The devices we elected to upgrade to this plan was my phone, my wife's phone and the "hot spot" device we have on the account.  Unfortunately, once there, we got caught in the aftermath of Hurricane "Sandy" and our return flights were cancelled.  We were forced to stay an additional four days at a separate resort, since our resort was only willing to keep us at a daily rate of $400 per day.  As a result of being trapped and having to reschedule flights etc..., I was shocked to learn on my November statement we ended with an $800 cell phone bill!  In addition to this, we were still being charged the "world" coverage fee of $75 for three devices.  I called Verizon to voice my displeasure and believe it or not, the Verizon rep sprung into action and was able to have the overage charges waived as a result of the devastating effects of "Sandy".  Here's what I was told, "There will be a credit to your account but you won't see it until your December statement comes in...," and "..., if it hasn't been credited by then, don't panic, it may take up to sixty days to show on your bill"  Well I did see a credit to my account in December but unbeknownst to me at the time, I was still being charged $75 for the "World" coverage that was supposed to be cancelled back in mid November, at the end of my billing cycle.  My January bill arrives and it's still very high.  I call back to inquire and the "world" upgrade coverage is discovered by the Verizon rep who's assisting me.  She gladly "fixes" the error with her supervisor's approval however, she informs me she can only credit me for the past 30 days.  So instead of a $150 credit, I only ended up with a $75 credit.  Now I ask the question, why is it Verizon can tell me to wait for credit for up to sixty days but the minute an error on their part is overlooked for more than 30 days, nothing can be done about it?  Please understand I am great full for the courtesy demonstrated by Verizon in November in adjusting my bill as a result of the devastation on the east coast however; that does not justify charging a customer for something they didn't need or use.  If Verizon is looking to "do the right thing", then at least be consistent. Another thing that's troubling is that other than this forum, there is no one to call to voice your displeasure with customer service.  There are all kinds of buttons and links to add service or plans or anything that has to do with spending more money with Verizon, but the minute you are not happy with customer service or you want to cancel your account all together, you'll find there are no buttons or links for that.  Only forums are available in the hopes someone reads your "blog" and feels your pain. A digital hug just doesn't seem the same. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Another Verizon billing victim...,
mediaonepro
Enthusiast - Level 1

>Duplicate post deleted. Cross-posting is not permitted per the VZW ToS.<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

budone
Legend

You are aware there are still minute charges and data charges at an add'l rate on top of the $25 you paid while in DR? The $25, just gave you a reduced fee, but never was meant to cover all usage while on the island.

0 Likes
GARMAS30
Enthusiast - Level 2

I found Verizon Wireless to work great within the United States, no issues, however when you go abroad I'd recommend you take a phone which is unlocked for both GSM/CDMA (you can buy at the Apple Store, ask for unlocked - FYI all Verizon iphones come unlocked) and buy yourself a SIM Card with a carrier in that country which offers good coverage and reasonable data charges.  It's easy to switch out a SIM in another country.  Verizon & AT&T do charge roaming rates, they're usually as high as any other competitor.

By getting a new sim, a local cellular service plan in that country ensures that when you get back you don't find huge roaming charges.  I had a friend which recently went to Italy.  She came back with a huge roaming bill because she didnt check-out the facts as for usage and data and 'thought' that the rates would be the same as the USA - not!.  Read the fine print, ask questions of Verizon, ask them to show you the page whereby roaming costs/pricing are located.  Think about getting a SIM Card in the country your visiting and getting a data plan that won't break the bank.

0 Likes