Re: Anyone using a Samsung Strive SGH-A687 on Verizon's GSM? If so, I have more questions, thanks.
Not applicable

RobbedByVerizon2015 wrote:

Actually pherson, according to Verizon, it is a CDMA AND a GSM carrier, so though I was interested in a CDMA phone, I now don't care. See, I am reasonable after all. Go check it out for yourself, look at the Verizon products page for SIM cards and lo and behold you'll see you can buy one. CDMAs don't use SIMs so guess what that means.

And I know this is a peer to peer community. I want help from my peers. Like I said, customer service has been of no help.

If you don't have a Samsung Strive, nor ever used an unlock code service, that's fine, just let me wait for someone who has. Have a good one.

Look Verizon uses CDMA for calling and texting so if you phone doesn't have CDMA you can call or text. Also that phone does not have ANY LTE support. So you can't use any data. So you can't call text or use data. which means it won't work.

0 Likes
Re: Anyone using a Samsung Strive SGH-A687 on Verizon's GSM? If so, I have more questions, thanks.
mama23dogs
Legend

The Strive is a 2G , 3G phone from 2010.  It doesn't have the bands to work on Verizon.  

Your prepaid account and number with Verizon will expire so you have a deadline to buy another phone or you have thrown all your money away.

shop on eBay for a basic Verizon phone.  eBay guarantees your purchase will be as advertised.

0 Likes
RobbedByVerizon2015

I know my Strive isn't a 4G LTE. However, that doesn't mean Verizon *isn't* also a GSM carrier. If you are sticking up for pherson, then you are being more specific and forthcoming than him/her.

0 Likes
RobbedByVerizon2015

Thanks mama23dogs, that is info the VZW phone agent should have simply told me and I would've been on my way. Had he done so, I'd've made a note of their integrity towards me and waited for the right time to come back. But alas.

Like I said, I long ago came to terms with the fact that VZW has stolen my money by way of not being as forthcoming as you (before I spent my money, not after). I acted in good faith, VZW did not. Were VZW an honorable company, were any cell carrier honorable, they'd refund any unused money to their customer when they close their account. But alas.

VZW is the expert in their field, I am not. So maybe VZW loyalists/employees masquerading as users are here to defend its honor, free of charge, I don't know. All I do know is VZW has my money and I have not received anything for it. I don't know why anyone would like such treatment, but I don't. I rarely get taken like this anymore, but, I can't win 'em all.

Be that as it may, just in case someone out there in the VZW universe has some positive news to share, I will still check in here for a few days before I throw my lot in with AT&T once and for all. But hey, I'm getting the sense that VZW doesn't think my money is green enough for them--unless they're cheating me out of it because I'm not a VZW aficionado, that is.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
RobbedByVerizon2015,

We understand you need a working phone, I'm sorry to see you've had problems and apologize. We want to help but I do need clarification please. Are you stating you want us to unlock a phone that we don't support, provided by a different carrier?

Also, as you stated, you have a Prepaid service with us; the reason you're unable to reach support by calling 800-922-0204 is because that is support for postpaid customers. For assistance with your service, please call 888-294-6804.

AdaS_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Only 4g/LTE devices will take a SIM card on the VZW network. We tried to tell you that this phone would not work with VZW. I gave a telephone number that would get you the a person at VZW that COULD help you. You insisted on the fact that you didn't want to call. Frankly, you went to a third party store and purchased a device without prior research to see if it would do what you wanted it to do. Then you say that you just wanted it for texting but bugged out because it didn't have a video camera? Even the most basic of phones take videos.

Honestly, you put yourself in this situation.

I am not a Verizon fan boy. I am a fan boy of taking responsibility for our own actions. In this case it seems that you want to pass the blame for your misunderstanding. You COULD have visited a Corporate VZW store and talked to an (what was it that you called it?) expert. The VZW rep in the store could have guided you through the selection of a phone that would have given you all of the feature that you wanted and you wouldn't be in this situation.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Verizon is not a GSM carrier in the sense for this phone.  Also notice the SIM card info you posted is only for LTE phones, and specifically stated Verzon phones. I researched this phone, it will not work on Verizon, period.  For the purpose of the general meaning, Verizon does not have a GSM network.  Basically for all but the very latest generation smartphones, you must have a Verizon branded phone for it to work on the Verizon CDMA network, or LTE network, the only types of networks Verison has. 

*I realize LTE is a continuation of the GSM standard, but it would be wrong to label Verizon a GSM carrier. 

RobbedByVerizon2015

Hello AdaS_VZW Customer Support,

Thanks for responding here, I am a little surprised, pleasantly so. I was only expecting other users to chime in.

I was hoping to unlock this Strive from AT&T to continue using it. I did ask the phone agent if you could unlock it, but he said that you don't do that. Ok, so that is why I am asking others if they have used an unlock code site and if they were happy with it.

Thanks for suggesting I call a different number, but as I've said before, that uses up my AT&T cell minutes which I am not willing to do again. I've already contended with the outgoing female voice menu that eats up far too much time reading me a list of options to pick from that are never what I need. I'm not able to use my phone number so I haven't had a chance to develop a need for any option other than human intervention. And I'm REALLY tired of that stupid thing telling me there is a problem and then hangs up on me.

If you could reply with an email address we could use, that would work. Is that possible?

I wonder why the postpaid agents never gave me the prepaid number.

If the case is that the Strive is too old a GSM device for VZW, unlocked or locked, then so be it. I'll just stay with AT&T on both phones. The only cells I see offered by VZW for prepaid service are one Android/CDMA and two flip/CDMA phones (both older than the Strive but CDMA).

In light of the fact that VZW will simply not give me back my money, unless you can come up with something creative, then it will remain true: you have taken advantage of a lay consumer's inability to anticipate every possible exception or rule or device dependent factor so as to get away with keeping my money while giving me no service. If you were to say upfront 'it will cost you $X to explore our devices and services to see if they can be combined to suit your needs' then we'd be able to agree to pay for the adventure. Or not.

But if you reply and can give me an email, I'm willing to try a bit longer to work something out so we can do business. Thanks again.

0 Likes
RobbedByVerizon2015

Hi Weth,

I agree with you, at this juncture of this learning process, that VZW is not a traditional GSM carrier, even though the VZW agents I spoke with are who told me "we are both CDMA and GSM now," quoting them.

Thanks for your help.

(Just as a general curiosity, the last agent I spoke to also said, again quoting, "all our phones are unlocked." So either he was just using used car sales tactics on me or there is hinky info floating around; I have no way of knowing for sure.)

Cheers.

0 Likes
RobbedByVerizon2015

Hi sprmankalel,

Have a nice day.  

0 Likes