Apple Music - Device not compatible error
JasonKarol
Enthusiast - Level 3

My wife and I both have Samsung Galaxy S10+ devices. Mine is a black model, purchased at Sam's Club and performed as an upgrade there to my old Galaxy S7 Edge device. My wife's is also a Samsung Galaxy S10+ device, in blue, but purchased at Best Buy and oriented as an upgrade there to her old Galaxy S7 Edge. (We always get identical model phones when we upgrade, but this time blue was out of stock at Sam's Club so her phone was done at a different store.)

We are both on the same unlimited plan for our two lines, and both plans are supposed to come with free Apple Music. When I use my phone to go in to the My Verizon app, or I log in to the Verizon website on my computer at home, my device shows as able to enroll, but my wife's phone shows in both places as "This phone is not compatible" and I cannot enroll her in Apple Music.

I'm baffled how identical model phones (except for color and the store that sold them to me) are showing as differently compatible. There's absolutely no way that her S10+ isn't compatible, but I cannot get any method to give me an enroll option for her line. Even our previous phones were the same model (and even same color), and those were purchased and upgraded at the same store (Best Buy at that time).

I've read suggestions that say I should just put her SIM card in my physical device and that may work, but I'm unsure if that would cause issues with my enrolling afterwards for my phone, plus I'm a little leery about doing a swap like that with the SIM.

Is there any other option to try and get the Verizon system to understand her phone is compatible?

0 Likes
Re: Apple Music - Device not compatible error
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We certainly want to see you both rock out with the free Apple Music option! When you access your My Verizon account through the app or nline at http://www.vzw.com/myverizon does the system recognize the phone model on your wifes line and show the picture of the device?  YaleK_VZW

0 Likes
JasonKarol
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes and no. When I use the "My Verizon" app on my phone, and access "Devices" under that app, my wife's phone image appears with no issues. If I navigate to her phone, it lists the SIM #, the IMEI#, and states the Device Model as "SAM GALAXY S10 PLUS BLUE 128GB". If I use the app to go to add on Apple Music, it lists the same description for the model as well right above saying "Decide is not compatible."

If I go to the Verizon Wireless web page, though, and navigate to the Devices there, my wife's phone image is NOT showing up. If I navigate to her phone online, it shows nothing for the Device Model, shows a Device ID entry (which matches the SIM #) and a IMEI entry (which matches the app), but that's it. Going to the Plan section to add Apple Music again shows her device as not compatible.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JasonKarol, thank you for these details. We definitely want your wife to enjoy Apple Music. Typically, when the device image is not showing up, this could be that the device is not a Verizon Wireless branded device (unlocked version). This can cause issues with it stating that something is not compatible, even when it is. When you purchased the device from Best Buy for your wife, did you purchase an unlocked version or is it a Verizon Wireless branded phone? AliciaD_VZW

0 Likes
JasonKarol
Enthusiast - Level 3

The phone was a Verizon phone, and not an unlocked device, unless Best Buy made a stock error when they activated it for me. The unlocked units were more expensive, and I had gone in to process a device upgrade on her line.  Since her phone was essentially the same price as mine, and mine is detected as compatible, I would have to assume hers is a Verizon phone as well.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JasonKarol, Apple Music is an awesome feature to have, and my goal is to make sure both of your phones are able to accept the feature. Let's try something. On your wife's phone go to the Play Store the then search for Apple Music. When you find it, download the app to her phone. Once it has been installed open it up. You will then select the option to enroll through Verizon. If she doesn't have an Apple ID already it will ask you to create one. You will then be enrolled via the Verizon offer. Let me know if this works. 

DiaS_VZW

0 Likes
srahoosier
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same issue.

My iPhone XS MAX is the primary line on the account, but it shows device is not compatible when I try to activate apple music.

Apple Music has been activated on my second device with no issues (an a separate apple ID).

The apple id is NOT the issue. It's verizon that does not recognize my device.

If I try to activate two-factor authentication, I also get an error message that the device is not eligible.

Both my phones were purchased at a Verizon store and both have SIM cards. I need a way to re-activate my line so that Verizon will recognize that IT IS COMPATIBLE.

How do I get Verizon to recognize my device?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Music is a big part of my day and we want to ensure you can take advantage of your Apple Music subscription, srahoosier. Let's take a closer look into what's going on. We're glad to hear both phones were purchased at a Verizon location. Do you by chance know if this was a corporate or authorized location? When you view your device details through your My Verizon account, does your device model show there? 

DanielleR_VZW

0 Likes
srahoosier
Enthusiast - Level 2

The Verizon Authorized retailer was: 

TCCCarrollton

2519 Hwy 227Unit B

Carrollton, KY 41008

(502) 732-5343,

I purchased both devices on the same day.

When I view my device details through my My Verizon account, it DOES NOT show the device model or a picture of my phone, but it does show them for the other device.

0 Likes
srahoosier
Enthusiast - Level 2

I should also mention that the device was activated straight out of the box at the store.

0 Likes