Re: BNSF Metra service from Naperville to Chicago has poor unusable service.
Amyjv8

Did you end up switching? I'm researching this question now, as I'm also on the BNSF route and have zero service (extremely frustrating.)

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We always want you to have consistent service wherever you go. We are here to help. Have you always had this issue in this location? BrittanyC_VZW

0 Likes
Moefan

I have had it for a couple of years now and its completely unusable between Naperville and Union Station during rush hour.  It used to be slightly better than dialup, but now you can't even load Google search results 80% of the time.  Would be helpful if someone has a suggestion for a carrier that works on this route.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Moefan, we always want you to be able to stay connected when on the go. All wireless providers are not able to guarantee services while on a train due to many factors that are outside of our control. There may have been changes with the train cars or things in the area that have changed that we would not know about. When you are off the train, how is your service?  AliciaD_VZW

0 Likes
Kengstrom

I’d like to second (or third or fourth of one hundredth) the horrible, terrible, awful coverage on the BNSF line. It's basically unusable. The route follows interstate 290 from the western suburbs of Chicago to downtown Chicago. And it is very, very bad. It's fine otherwise in Naperville. Is Verizon planning to do anything about it? I've seen a few requests in the forums over the years so clearly this is a known issue. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Kengstrom, we know that being connected is essential at all times. We understand how frustrating it is to have this be an ongoing issue. Please keep in mind that when we use any type of transportation, the signal can be impacted negatively. Especially when we're traveling by train or subway. Cell Phones are connected to our towers/antennas, and if a customer is traveling at high speeds, the signal will be impacted because it jumps from tower to tower. This is a well known issue and this is why many important train stations have their own Wi-Fi connection for their passengers. Our network engineers are always working diligently to help us provide the best connection for our customers, luckily 5G is just around the corner. 

LauraF_VZW

0 Likes
Klen77

I recently switched to Verizon after being a long-time Sprint user, hoping that Verizon coverage would be better, particularly when riding the Metra BNSF line in and out of Chicago.

I started on the Start Unlimited plan and I have to say Verizon service on Start Unlimited was awful on the BNSF line, even worse than Sprint. I upgraded to Do More Unlimited and that did help in most locations, but I'm disappointed that even on Do More Unlimited there are some dead zones in areas with lots of residences and businesses that should have solid coverage. In fact, Sprint had perfect coverage in these particular areas so I'm not sure why Verizon coverage is so horrible in them. Three particular BNSF stops in a row with really bad Verizon coverage that were perfectly fast on Sprint:

- Harlem Avenue (7135 Windsor Ave., Berwyn, Illinois 60402)

- Berwyn (6801 Windsor Ave., Berwyn, Illinois 60402)

- LaVergne (Windsor & Ridgeland Ave., Berwyn, Illinois 60402)

Why is Verizon coverage so bad in these heavily populated areas? And is anything going to be done about it? It's really annoying to have connection grind to a halt every day at these 3 stops.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Many factors outside of Verizon’s control can contribute to performance even in cases where you may have had service in the past. Being in a metal box moving at a higher speed and having possible 1000's of users using the network may have this impact and needs to be taken in to consideration. Are you getting off at these locations? How is service when you are outside of the train? Are other services impacted (calls or text)? - AlbertoR_VZW

0 Likes