Backup Assistant
hightech47167

Why can't i get backup assistant to sort my contacts into last name order?Actually, this applies to BOTH the backup assistant (online) and to my cell phone.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Backup Assistant
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

That would be dependent on your phone - mine has no "Last Name" field in the contact list, just NAME, and it sorts by the first character(s) entered.  To get it to sort by Last Name I need to enter that first, and then enter the first name.

Other phones may have a separate Last Name and First Name field (likely the Blackberries or smartphones) and the ability to sort by the last name.  But if your phone only has one Name  field (as does mine) - it will sort based on the first character you type in.  I actually use this to get my family at the top of my list by putting a number in front of their name, forcing the sort order I want.

0 Likes
hightech47167

Both my phone and the online backup assistant have last name fields. My phone looks at only the FIRST name when I enter a character. However, the online backup assistant has a "SORT BY LAST NAME" which does not work. Which is what I am finding more and more of in Verizon. STUFF THAT DON'T WORK.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

hightech47167 wrote:

Both my phone and the online backup assistant have last name fields. My phone looks at only the FIRST name when I enter a character. However, the online backup assistant has a "SORT BY LAST NAME" which does not work. Which is what I am finding more and more of in Verizon. STUFF THAT DON'T WORK.

What phone do you have?  It seems to me that if there is capability to enter both last name and first name into separate fields, then sorting by either one should logically follow.  It seems backup assistant has picked up on separate fields and *appears* to give you the option to sort by last name, but doesn't do it.

Since my phone doesn't work like this, I would like to hear from someone else who DOES have separate fields for last name and first name, and how it does or doesn't work for sorting purposes....

0 Likes
Lee-Lee
Contributor - Level 3

You will need to enter your contacts in, on your phone, by the last name first. Like Mary Jones should be entered as Jones Mary, and the online system will save them that way. If the sort option in your online account is not working you will need to contact our tech support department, a trouble ticket may need to be submitted for your account.

0 Likes