Re: Bad coverage at home
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Verizon and every other carrier will tell you that they can't control signal inside of a building. Ever.

Verizon may not know that your specific location has an issue but they are certainly aware of where their signal reaches. If Verizon could put towers on every street corner, they would. They don't want any area uncovered. It doesn't make sense for them to have uncovered areas. Talk to your local government and ask them why they are blocking Verizon from increasing signal strength in your area.

Mobile phones are not a public utility and we do not have a right to them. They are a convenience that many have mistaken for a right to have. Thus mobile networks are not governed by the same rules as landline phones. Nobody ever said that we should cut the landline services out of our lives. If you chose to do that, then that is on you.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

jfriend00 wrote:

Some of our Android phones are experimenting with using WiFi calling at home, but that has handoff issues when leaving the house or arriving home and when trying that with iPhones they seem to miss calls and that was a disaster so that's considered untenable. So, we want Verizon to fix the 4G coverage in our neighborhood or we will have to consider moving all our phones to another network.

The problem is that MANY people think cellular coverage should work everywhere. The technology does not support the dream that many people have about cellular phones. NO carrier will have the best coverage for ALL areas. NO carrier will have coverage in ALL areas. You have to choose the carrier which has the best coverage for YOUR needs. This does not mean the carrier you choose will have adequate coverage in ALL areas you would like to have coverage. It simply means that it has adequate coverage in more areas than it has inadequate coverage.

Yes,  you can switch carriers to one which has better coverage in your home. What  you will likely experience is that you will ALSO lose coverage in other areas you now have adequate coverage. The balancing act comes when choosing which areas are most important to have coverage. For many, that will be the carrier which has coverage in the home. Unfortunately, this may mean you will not have coverage in your workplace or many other areas you would like to have coverage. Some times it is a work around to use wifi calling in areas where you have some control over the area in question, such as your home.

I am not saying to stay with Verizon or to go with another provider. That choice will be different with different people and the best provider may not be the same for different people because they live different lives. The best provider may not even be the same provider for different people in the same household. That is just another balancing act some have to live with.

Regardless, good luck with whatever provider you choose.

jfriend00
Enthusiast - Level 3

rcschnoor wrote:

The problem is that MANY people think cellular coverage should work everywhere. The technology does not support the dream that many people have about cellular phones. NO carrier will have the best coverage for ALL areas. NO carrier will have coverage in ALL areas. You have to choose the carrier which has the best coverage for YOUR needs. This does not mean the carrier you choose will have adequate coverage in ALL areas you would like to have coverage. It simply means that it has adequate coverage in more areas than it has inadequate coverage.

Yes, you can switch carriers to one which has better coverage in your home. What you will likely experience is that you will ALSO lose coverage in other areas you now have adequate coverage. The balancing act comes when choosing which areas are most important to have coverage. For many, that will be the carrier which has coverage in the home. Unfortunately, this may mean you will not have coverage in your workplace or many other areas you would like to have coverage. Some times it is a work around to use wifi calling in areas where you have some control over the area in question, such as your home.

I am not saying to stay with Verizon or to go with another provider. That choice will be different with different people and the best provider may not be the same for different people because they live different lives. The best provider may not even be the same provider for different people in the same household. That is just another balancing act some have to live with.

Regardless, good luck with whatever provider you choose.

Yes, it is actually pretty difficult to figure out which carrier is the best overall tradeoff for a given person.  Nobody lets you trial phones from 3 different carriers for several weeks to figure out which one works best for you.  Coverage maps may show rural places where a carrier has no coverage, but they don't really tell the story in urban areas at all since lots of areas will be listed as covered even though calls drop regularly or mobile data doesn't really work.  It depends where you spend your time and which places you absolutely need decent coverage and what you're willing to "give up" as a compromise.  For me, not being able to reliably receive calls at home is a show-stopper.  It's worth picking a different carrier even if one has to make sacrifices in other areas of coverage.  For others, it might be receiving calls at work or being able to make calls on their commute.  Then, as you mention, if you're on a family plan and have several people each with their own set of priorities it can be even more difficult.

I had a conversation last week with a small business owner last week who moved their entire business (tree trimming service with a dozen crews) from one carrier to another (I don't know what the original reason was for changing) and then after a week on the new carrier, they realized they had to move back because coverage was lacking in so many more places on the new carrier.  It's not an easy thing to figure out.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We apreciate you as our customer jfriend00 and would never want to see you leave. We understand the importance of having reliable service. Let's see what we can do to help. When did this issue begin? What is the zip code where you are having trouble?

RashadM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
jfriend00
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon Wireless Customer Support wrote:

We apreciate you as our customer jfriend00 and would never want to see you leave. We understand the importance of having reliable service. Let's see what we can do to help. When did this issue begin? What is the zip code where you are having trouble?

There's no particular point in time that the problem began - coverage at our home has always been less than ideal.  It has become more of a problem lately because more and more we are just using our mobile phones as our main point of contact (rather than our home landline number) and we're receiving more calls while we're at home than we used to.  And, now we notice that some of those incoming calls don't ring or when we answer the call, we can't talk without going outside.

My zip code is 94022.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jfriend00

Thank you for providing that detail, as we definitely want to get to the bottom of this and keep you within the Verizon family. We do show that our towers in your area seem to be working as expected with no alarms. Although the tower is functioning properly, that doesn't mean that issues don't exist. Your ability to receive optimal signal will be based on your distance from the cell site, if the site has a clear line of site to your location that would allow the Radio Frequency (RF) signal to penetrate into your area, terrain and tree foliage (heavier foliage does obstruct RF signal), new construction in the area among other environmental factors. It becomes more difficult to guarantee service inside a building because there are different types of materials used in the structure, some that restrict signals more than others. How are the services once you leave your residence? What type of phones do you have (make/model)?

EdwardL_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
jfriend00
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon Wireless Customer Support wrote:

jfriend00

How are the services once you leave your residence? What type of phones do you have (make/model)?

A phone conversation works reliably standing in our front yard and standing by our front window, but not elsewhere in the house.  Data does not work reliably until I walk down the street.  Phones are Samsung Edge 7 and iPhone 6.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

tami3133,

I know the importance of having the best service possible. We would love to understand what exactly is going on so we can assist you further. What exact issues are you experiencing? Are you having issues indoors and out? Please provide additional details so we may assist.

LindseyT_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
ROB7JODY

I agree I have had Verizon for 12 years and have always been able to make and rece calls in my home until the past 6 months or so. i can’t call them because they can’t hear me. Then I do a live chat and they tell me to enable WiFi calling which when I do turn it on it tells me I have to go to their website. When I go to the website it then tells me I have no signals to be able to turn it on.  And they don’t care I’ve been a customer for 12 yrs but I guess I need to switch carriers since my carrier won’t fix the problem

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ROB7JODY, I have to say that your loyalty and tenure speaks volumes. I do apologize that you have endured such a situation. In some cases, we do have to access your account and enable a feature on your line that will allow access to Wi-Fi calling. We can look into this here if you like.
NicoleT_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes