Blocking unwanted calls from 13 digit number with Usage Controls
Paul_A

I had been receiving unwanted calls from a USA number which I blocked with Usage Controls which I am subscribed to (example: 212-555-1234 - not the actual number).  I have now started receiving calls from the same number, except the caller ID now adds "011" before the same number, such as "0112125551234".  Since Usage Controls will only let me block 10 digit numbers, can Verizon block this new number for me, and is there a charge to do so?

Thank you for your help.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Blocking unwanted calls from 13 digit number with Usage Controls
ArnettH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Good morning Paul_A,

Usage controls is a great service that we offer to block unwanted mobile numbers from calling. International numbers are the exception to this service. This is because that are a lot of elements to take into consideration to provide such a service, such as the dialing pattern, area codes, country codes, and NPA-NXX. If you are receiving calls from what is perceived to be an international number then the best option would be a mobile telephone number change. Should you decide to do so, here is a link to assist you with a mobile number change. 

https://videos.verizonwireless.com/How-do-I-change-phone-number/v/7GFBIQQB/

A mobile number change online at My Verizon is absolutely free! Prior to a mobile number change you may want to verify and archive some information. 

• Archive any saved voice mail as they may not transfer to the new mobile number.
  • Voice mail greeting may need to be re-recorded.
  • Check your minute usage before the mobile number change as it will be prorated on the next bill. 
  • Backup Assistant will need to be re-registered under the new mobile number.

Keep in mind that once the mobile number change is completed then the device would have to be reactivated. This can easily be done by calling *228 and selecting option 1 tp activate the new number on the device. If you have any additional questions or concerns then don't hesitate to reply to this message.

Thank you...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
kwm1337
Contributor - Level 1

When placing any call from a normal phone system from within the US on your own without an operator "011" is just an access number you use in order to place a international call from within the US.

Let me break it down:

011 - Tells the phone you want to place an international call

212 - is the Area Code in a part of New York City

555 - is the Exchange code

1234 - is the suffix [to identify the subscriber in the Exchange]

In other words dialing 0112125551234 is the EXACT same as 2125551234. Some people accustomed to placing long-distance phone calls back in the day when pulses were before tone dialing came around you would always have to dial +1-212-555-1234 The "plus with the one" is the same as 011. Now days you do not have to use it in many cases.

Back to answer your question: if you block 2125551234 that is the same as blocking 0112125551234

Ahhh... The days of tone dialing. Many do not realize how involved dialing a phone used to be! Smiley Happy

Best of luck,

--kwm1337

0 Likes
Paul_A

Thank you for the reply.  Unfortunately, there are a couple of issues with this solution:

1. I have already blocked "212-555-1234" under Usage Controls, but shortly thereafter, I started receiving calls that showed up on my Caller ID as "0112125551234".  This leads me to believe that "0112125551234" is not exactly the same as "212-555-1234" as far as call blocking with Usage Controls is concerned.

2.  I am within the US, therefore no one can place an international call to me from within the US.

0 Likes
kwm1337
Contributor - Level 1

Oh so you actually blocked 2125551234? That actual number? There is your problem. 555 is not a valid exchange code. There are *no* phone numbers that have 555 in that position. That is numbers in the movies and on TV always are 555???? et cetera... What is happening is there are two components here:

1). MTN: This is the *actual* phone number the number the is actually calling your phone

2). CallerID File Information [Verizon calls it ShareID for their VZW customers]

In other words I can make a caller ID show up as whatever I want. What you will need to find [and you might have to contact VZW directly if you cannot find the MTN on your "usage details", but it should be there unless it is being fraudulently spoofed] is that MTN.

That number the MTN [the number that is actually calling your phone] is the number you need to place into the blocking filter, *not* what is showing up in the CallerID Profile which is 2125551234 or 0112125551234.

I apologize I thought you were just using 2125551234 as a general/generic example, but if that is actually what is being placed into the filter than no number will actually be blocked because that is an invalid phone number.

--kwm1337

0 Likes
Paul_A

"212-555-1234" and "0112125551234" are just examples - not the actual numbers.  However, when I blocked "212-555-1234" (just an example - not the actual number), I stopped receiving calls from that number, and began receiving calls from "0112125551234".  Perhaps "212-555-1234" was the non-spoofed caller ID of the number that was calling my phone, and when I blocked the number, they called from another number and spoofed the caller ID to show up as "0112125551234" (just an example).   Since I did not answer any of the calls, I don't think the MTN will show up on my usage details, so I will probably have to contact Verizon directly.  Hopefully they will have it and be willing to give it out or block it for me.

0 Likes
ArnettH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Good morning Paul_A,

Usage controls is a great service that we offer to block unwanted mobile numbers from calling. International numbers are the exception to this service. This is because that are a lot of elements to take into consideration to provide such a service, such as the dialing pattern, area codes, country codes, and NPA-NXX. If you are receiving calls from what is perceived to be an international number then the best option would be a mobile telephone number change. Should you decide to do so, here is a link to assist you with a mobile number change. 

https://videos.verizonwireless.com/How-do-I-change-phone-number/v/7GFBIQQB/

A mobile number change online at My Verizon is absolutely free! Prior to a mobile number change you may want to verify and archive some information. 

• Archive any saved voice mail as they may not transfer to the new mobile number.
  • Voice mail greeting may need to be re-recorded.
  • Check your minute usage before the mobile number change as it will be prorated on the next bill. 
  • Backup Assistant will need to be re-registered under the new mobile number.

Keep in mind that once the mobile number change is completed then the device would have to be reactivated. This can easily be done by calling *228 and selecting option 1 tp activate the new number on the device. If you have any additional questions or concerns then don't hesitate to reply to this message.

Thank you...

0 Likes
Paul_A

Thank you for the reply, .  Thankfully, the calls seem to have stopped; unfortunately, changing my phone number is a highly inconvenient solution to this issue, as I then have to backtrack and determine who I need to provide my new number to.

I am not a telephony expert, but it seems logical that if the technology is in place to route the call to my telephone number in the first place, it should also be able to close the route for a designated number (or for all inbound international calls in general).

On a separate but related issue, if I run out of space to block numbers with the 20 blocks I am allocated with Usage Controls, am I able to pay another monthly fee for another 20 blocks?

0 Likes
kwm1337
Contributor - Level 1

Paul_A wrote:
it seems logical that if the technology is in place to route the call to my telephone number in the first place, it should also be able to close the route for a designated number (or for all inbound international calls in general).

Yes, I absolutely agree & I am surprised that the controls treat the two differently, but I am glad it sounds like they have stopped.

Best of Luck,

--kwm1337

0 Likes
Paul_A

kwm1337 wrote:

Paul_A wrote:
it seems logical that if the technology is in place to route the call to my telephone number in the first place, it should also be able to close the route for a designated number (or for all inbound international calls in general).

Yes, I absolutely agree & I am surprised that the controls treat the two differently, but I am glad it sounds like they have stopped.

Best of Luck,

--kwm1337

Thank you!

0 Likes
lobsta1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I know this is an old topic but it is still relevant. I am also getting spam calls. I blocked the number & I get them with the 011 prefix. Googled the number & find pages of complaints about this spam number. Can't block the 011 number. II don't have a text plan as the charges are legalized robbery.Finally to stop the spam texts, I had to contact VZ customer service multiple times to finally get a supervisor to block ALL texts on my phone. Texts are still getting through & then I have to hassle with customer service to get the charges removed.

Meanwhile the associate phone on my family plan keeps getting OZmail spam texts. How the heck do I block those?

Since VZ collects for all these garbage calls & texts, they have NO incentive to assist anyone in solving this problem. Even the legitimate call blocks are only good for 90 days. If Vz were actually customer oriented, all they would have to do is set a threshold. Say, 10,000 calls from an autodialer & the originating calling number is blocked.

0 Likes